QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Is full recovery possible?

BeHereNow

I think the Lexapro has been good for me overall actually. Now, klonopin could have something to do with it. I don't abuse it, never had the desire to, but even 1 mg a day could be messing with my brain. I just have legit anxiety, so I know quitting that will be a process.

I see, I've been tempted to try Lexapro because it'd be nice to have something that acts on serotonin rather than dopamine.

I feel a bit better too. I refuse to believe that we've permanently ruined ourselves from abusing amphetamines. If you exercise and read often/study to improve cognition, the brain can still grow.. it is a muscle, after all.

Thanks everyone for all your amazing positive responses! You have all helped me get my hope back :)

At the heart of it, I have to agree with you Kyle, I refuse to actually believe any of us are permanently damaged. There's no point in believing that. Changed, yes, inevitably. But every day changes us, there's no way to go back in time-- no place to go but forward. Are we changed for the worse? I refuse to believe it, not in the long run.

The strength we are developing by quitting is a rare kind and will carry through into all types of situations.

If stroke victims can regrow brain cells, then so can we. The brain is amazingly adaptable and it's always changing. Yeah, I like that image-- its a muscle.

And like you said QO, there are so many things in life to recover from, and it's always different. We all go through fucked up shit, addiction, trauma, heartbreak, injury, whatever, and probably everyone has things to recover from somehow (unless you stay innocent forever, which is pretty impossible right?)

So, in conclusion: NO, there is no such thing as "full recovery," if "full recovery" means becoming who you were in the past. That wouldn't even be desirable anyways. But there IS such thing as moving forward with your life. Becoming a better, smarter, stronger version of YOU in the process. :D

• Like 2