QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Appreciation, my plan, etc.

Dagny

I'm new to this site, but I've read a lot of the content and this has been by far the most helpful resource I have found. Having ADHD, some of the other "help" I've found did nothing but stress me out and kinda "rob" me of my motivation. I'll elaborate on that later, it still stresses me out when I talk about it.

I just wanted information, my health/life is the most important thing to me. It was like pulling teeth to have anyone tell me that medical detox isn't really necessary. In most cases, no risk of seizures, DT's, etc. for someone that is in reasonably good health, other than the Adderall. However, it seems that since those aren't *risks, no one in the professional community felt it was necessary to offer any guidance - except having an assessment (which is about $80+) or going to detox and rehab (**also quite costly). I did try to make arrangements to do that, and that's part of that stressful crap that I'll elaborate on later.

Before all of this, and before finding this site, I had quit for a few days and found the EXTREME fatigue to be a huge stumbling block. It was like a horrible, unrelenting sleep sickness. It had made sense to me that I wouldn't have as much energy, I wasn't prepared for that to be debilitating. All I needed was cigarettes and toilet paper... What I didn't know was just how close I was to getting past that. I was on Day 3. I read in this forum the words - "on Day 4, I could function." (not an exact quote)

With the help of the last of my prescription, I have cooked, cleaned, gotten supplies, gotten rid of a lot of the clutter around my apartment, and, of course, I did get a little side-tracked at times. I'll be wrapping up a few things over the next week (a class I've been taking, giving up on it now would be like throwing the ball out-of-bounds on the goal line with a man open - and dealing with other "life-stuff" that's important) and then I'm going off the Adderall, cold-turkey.

The information on this site regarding what to expect, the recommended nutritional supplements, and the general sense that you all understand ME and what I'm dealing with have been invaluable. The Adderall was supposed to be something helpful, and in a lot of ways it has been. But, for me, in the ways it has been hurtful, it's just too hurtful.

*a word about those risks, I am not a medical professional. If *you* have something else going on health-wise, do the research. Cross those "i's" and dot your "t's" well enough to increase your chances of success.

**a word about the costs, it is true that to continue taking the Adderall would cost more. If I personally *need* medical assistance, I will get it. I do have some complicating factors that I'm addressing the best I can. No one is more vested in my health than me.

I do hope this has been reasonably coherent, this might be "it" for a while. :/ It was important to me to speak up and say thank you, and perhaps be another "voice" for those "lurking," trying to decide what to do, struggling with the back-and-forth process, possibly even struggling with the symptoms of their ADHD.

When the road has been cleared, I will return to the world, ready to build a continent. ;-) (A little something extra for those fans of Atlas Shrugged, just in case my user name didn't tip you off or was not appreciated - I know you're here) :)

Best of luck to you Dagny. Sounds like you have a great plan in place. :) I know how you feel about the treatment world not knowing much about this drug as far as addiction goes. They sent me to detox....doctors seemed somewhat clueless about how to treat me. I just wanted you to know that I have been 1 year clean as of November 12th, 2011. If this adderall addict can do it, so can you! Can't wait to read more and see how your recovery is going. Best of luck!

Erin

Best of luck to you Dagny. Sounds like you have a great plan in place. :) I know how you feel about the treatment world not knowing much about this drug as far as addiction goes. They sent me to detox....doctors seemed somewhat clueless about how to treat me. I just wanted you to know that I have been 1 year clean as of November 12th, 2011. If this adderall addict can do it, so can you! Can't wait to read more and see how your recovery is going. Best of luck!

Erin

Thanks, Erin. This really came at a good time. Congrats on 1 year!

Go for it, Dagny!! This is a hard time of the year to be without adderall, but when you are ready to quit you need to quit. All you really need are these four things: Determination to quit and stay quit, patience to endure the recovery period, nutritional and energy supplements, and this web site. Good Luck.