QuittingAdderall.com Forums

When does normal mental sharpness return?

Steventhekyle

To answer the mental sharpness question, It definitely can be foggy in the beginning but it gradually comes back...definitely by a year it will be a whole lot better...

Also, I felt a huge difference between one month and one year. Huge. Huge. Night and Day. All I can say is that if you're not feeling too great one month in, it gets so much better. By the way, this site has been so key in my recovery process and I am so grateful because of it...

You know, I used to be convinced that adderall made me mentally sharper, but seriously, I was completely blinded by my addiction. Really, it made me so overstimulated, stressed and anxious all the time that I wasn't really focused. Of course I didn't realize any of this until after I got off the meds and the power the pills had over me started to weaken.

I also didn't realize it too much at the time, but when I was abusing adderall, I was always living inside my head, always thinking about what was on my plate, never in the moment...now I'm so much more present in my interactions with other people. I'm more relaxed and able to have more fun, able to joke around more.

Also, If you got to the point where you couldn't live comfortably without adderall, your mental focus probably took a huge hit. So while you may seem foggy in the beginning of your recovery, as time passes, you should definitely become sharper than you ever were when you were taking adderall.

Anyway, Keep staying off of it and it's really going to pay off...

Ltyrosine is an amino acid present in the food you eat. Taking it is safe, but if you're wary or want to go the all natural route, you can try eating plenty of tyrosine rich food. I found supplements never helped me as much as the real deal from food, probably because you get all the proper enzymes, complimentary nutrients, etc that way.

I suffered a significant decline in cognition and memory during my last year on adderall. I have prosopagnosia (face blindness) and adderall made it nearly impossible to reccognize even the familiar people in my life. I was still mentally foggy for about three months after I quit and I am getting a little better at remembering names and faces. My mind started coming back in month four and it has gradually gotten better up to now which is month seven. Oddly enough, that was about the same time (month four) I felt the internal need to start posting on this web site.

Tyrosine has really really helped me through this recovery. They are my Happy Pills. Seratonin is made from l-tyrosine. I quit taking them for a few months but resumed taking two 500 mg pills daily about a month ago when I felt a bout of seasonal depression comming on. L-Tyrosine is not a drug, and it is not addictive so more isn't better. I try to see the yin and the yang of everything in life, and I simply cannot find a down side to taking tyrosine to avoid depression. It works better for some people than for others so I feel lucky it works for me. You see I am not consistant how I refer to l-tyrosine. The "L" simply means it is in the form your body can use, as opposed to the "D" form. But I don't think you can buy anything but the "l" form because the "d" form is useless.

I am at month 4, off of adderall. I feel good and somewhat back to normal. I was on it for 23 years. I had to accept a new normal. But first I had to get to know what my Normal was. After four months, I am starting to realize the new me, i have to become used to and accept as my new normal. Get to know your new normal. You might get back to being the same guy that you were when you were on adderall, but i doubt it. chances are your going to have to accept the new you for better or worse. B)