QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Has anyone tried L-Theanine as a supplement?  I've read that it can calm anxiety by helping your brain produce GABA (though it's nowhere near as strong as a benzo).  But I also read that it can stimulate dopamine production....both are good for recovering adderallics. 

I'm trying it out today.  I ordered Natural Factors Suntheanine which is supposedly the purest one, and just took 2.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm just curious to hear about whether this has worked for anyone.

Ehh, I'm not sure if it's doing anything.  Maybe.  Overall, nothing miraculous.  I'll have to play around with the dosage and timing.   I try not to fall for the placebo effect.  On the other hand, I did spend the past hour attentively and calmly doing some close, focused reading.  Hmm.  I'm excited to see if it helps with sleep quality.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the misunderstanding with supplements is you have to take them daily for weeks before you see any noticeable benefits. Also the benefits are incremental. Its hard to feel the positive effect  that has built over time. Having a good regimen of supplements and taking them consistently is the key. But taking large doses is a waste of money because your body just gets rid of the excess (notice bright yellow urine). 

• Like 2

I think the misunderstanding with supplements is you have to take them daily for weeks before you see any noticeable benefits. Also the benefits are incremental. Its hard to feel the positive effect  that has built over time. Having a good regimen of supplements and taking them consistently is the key. But taking large doses is a waste of money because your body just gets rid of the excess (notice bright yellow urine). 

I would like to debate your view of supplements ZK.  I have another opinion.  I think that supplements' effects can vary hugely from person to person, just like some drugs are more effective for certain people.  I think their potency can vary greatly from brand to brand and from batch to batch, especially supplements derived from natural plants and plant extracts.  Some brand- name drugs have differing effects from their generic counterparts.  I spent a lot of resources chasing one particular flavor of Adderall (orange footballs) and I would not take substitutes.  Unlike drugs, the manufacture of most supplements is completely UNREGULATED in the USA.   Some supplements, like some drugs, can have negative side effects for some people, (as I have confirmed that calcium and iron supplements fuck with my sleep).  And finally, I believe that large doses of some supplements can be toxic, not merely a waste of money.  I also believe that the effective dose varies with each person depending on their body chemistry and other  factors.

• Like 2

i agree with all of your statements. I think in terms of supplements for dopa-mine receptor repair or any supplement that aids a long term healing process don't expect instant results.    Really anything in really high doses is toxic, lower doses consistently is the best method for supplements. Especially L-thryosine  which I've read should be taken with protein.  Pill popping logic doesn't apply here. You won't feel the effects instantly its more of a slow gain. That is a little harder to measure in the short term.  

. Especially L-thryosine  which I've read should be taken with protein.    

did you mean L-tyrosine?  If so, it should NOT be taken with protein since it IS an amino acid.  The natural amino acids in protein foods like chicken will overwhelm your brain's limited number of receptors so the full benefit is not realized and the tyrosine cannot be fully utilized.  that is why it says on the bottle to take it one hour before eating or two hours after eating.  I take mine first thing in the morning on a completely empty stomach.  I felt the effects of tyrosine and lions mane the very first time I ever took them.