QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Do the Voices Ever Stop?

looking4help

Hello everyone, 

I currently have a friend that has gone to rehab for adderall abuse. She has been there almost 2 weeks. I did a previous post about her condition early this year. She began hearing distinct voices & believed that everyone was watching her. The voices kept saying that they were coming to get her, etc. Everything in her house was bugged. It has gone on for months. My friend attempted to quit on her own, but of course that didn't work. She finally checked herself into a hospital and then she agreed to go to rehab. Her life has finally fallen apart. I have gotten to talk to her a few times on the phone. She claims that she is feeling better, but that she is still hearing the voices. That they are not getting any better. I don't know if that is a crutch for her to leave the rehab b/c she's not getting any better or if she really needs to go to a psychiatric hospital v. a substance abuse rehab. Just wanted to give her some encouragement that the voices will eventually go away? Does anyone have experience with that? Thanks for your replies in advance.  

Hey I remember you from your earlier post. The voices will slowly subside as long as she is clean. My psychosis subsided quickly but I've heard about others where it took more time. While I wasn't hearing voices after two weeks I was feeling 'crazy' still, lol. 2 weeks is way too soon to be worried that the voices are anything other than lingering adderall induced psychosis. I'm not sure the situation or what u mean by her possibly using the voices to leave rehab. Is she trying to leave rehab?

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply InRecovery. Yes, she wants to leave rehab, but since it is located out of town, no one will come and get her. She could voluntarily check herself out, but she'd have no where to go. So in a way, she's just stuck. I have continued to encourage her to stick it out and that it will take a awhile for the voices to go away. Hopefully, she will. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply InRecovery. Yes, she wants to leave rehab, but since it is located out of town, no one will come and get her. She could voluntarily check herself out, but she'd have no where to go. So in a way, she's just stuck. I have continued to encourage her to stick it out and that it will take a awhile for the voices to go away. Hopefully, she will. 

Rehab is definitely good for her. She is probably meeting other addicts, and going to lots of addiction counseling classes, and Narcotics Anonymous meetings.  Good for you for being such a good friend and looking out for her.

I just spoke with her on the phone. Sigh....she's convinced that the voices are still real. She's hearing them and believes that she's going to get arrested. I told her that there's nothing to worry about. That whomever she's talking to cannot get to her. I can tell by her voice that she is really scared. I hate it. It's so frustrating. 

I just spoke with her on the phone. Sigh....she's convinced that the voices are still real. She's hearing them and believes that she's going to get arrested. I told her that there's nothing to worry about. That whomever she's talking to cannot get to her. I can tell by her voice that she is really scared. I hate it. It's so frustrating. 

you sound like my sister when she was dealing with me going through this. It was frustrating for her. And, yes, i did believe the voices were real. The way you are dealing with this is right. All you can do is listen to her but kind of ignore it. If you remember in my last thread you and her family can take care of things behind the scenes without really letting her know you are taking care of things. I think that is your best course. later when she is a recovered and a normal person again she will appreciate it but not now. Later she will look back at this time in her life in horror,  But there is no convincing her now. She is still delusional and her brain is craving the fix.

• 1 year later...

My experience is that the voices are worst when feeling sad and afraid, and the voices disappear once optimism and energy are better. Basically lowering stress and improving mood. Also, ignoring them and choosing to work on a single task no matter what they say was helpful. I found they disappeared temporarily when I kept myself preoccupied with uplifting movies or standup comedy videos. Also, with alcohol, but that has the tendency to create problems of its own. There's a movie on Netflix called "Happy" that I really like and made my voices go away one day completely. Also, getting empathy and patience and acceptance from others, and being able to tell them about the voices without losing that empathy and acceptance or them freaking out in front of me was helpful. So while it may take time for them to disappear on their own, I found basically that improving my mood and activity level, or having a positive task, person, or movie to focus on, were helpful remedies in the meantime.

Dur. Just noticed your post was over a year ago :P Well hopefully everything worked out for your friend. Would be interested to hear how she did if you want to post a follow-up. =)