QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Side effects of quitting

Liv1719

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I was on Adderall for a little over 3 years, and I just quit taking it 2 weeks ago. I've tried quitting before and this is the longest I've made it. Mentally I feel ok, some fog and memory problems, but it feels like my personality of who I was before Adderall is coming back which is amazing.

HOWEVER I'm having two huge physical problems--constipation and insomnia. I thought i would sleep much better when I quit, but it's really been quite the opposite. I've been sleeping for maybe 3-4 hours a night. I've taken Benadryl and melatonin and Unisom and none really help. I'm also extremely constipated--I go days without going and get so bloated. I am still working out pretty often and eating well and taking fiber supplements and even drank laxative tea but nothing is really helping. When can I expect my body to go back to normal??? Any advice for these things? I really want to stay off the Adderall but this is driving me insane.

Hi Liv --

You can try actual laxatives, not just tea (sparingly), and take a couple tablets of magnesium glycinate (I get mine online) at bedtime. I'm not a doctor, so weigh that into this response, but I have had really good results with the insomnia with that particular kind of magnesium. 

M

Hey Liv,

This is normal.  Lots of people on here experience what you are experiencing.  When I first quit, I was sleeping 3-4 hours a night for the first 3-4 months.   And a LOT of people here on the boards have insomnia and anxiety stuff.  It's weird, but it happens. 

I think it's because when I was on adderall, I was exhausting myself beyond what I had to give, every single day, and my brain chemicals were completely depleted.  I think that my brain went into a kind of coma every night as a self-protective measure because I was so exhausted from adderall.   Then when I quit, my brain wasn't as depleted anymore as it started healing, and I had to relearn my whole entire sleep/wakefulness cycle.  I know it really sucks to be unable to sleep right now, but think of it as a part of your recovery.  And never, ever get anxious about your insomnia while you are experiencing it.  That starts a vicious cycle of even MORE insomnia!

Have you thought of chatting w/ your dr?  Maybe there are better sleep aids for you.  I've taken Trazodone, Topamax, Klonopin, and Ativan to help me sleep.  (Not all at once!! LOL!)  Also, I don't know about you, but Melatonin gives me (and lots of people) nightmares and bad sleep.

About the constipation thing, thats normal too.  Make sure you're very hydrated.  Eat lots of raw fresh vegetables, get some exercise, have a big strong cup of coffee, and give it TIME.  You'll re-adjust. 

The key ingredient to all of this is TIME.  Give yourself that gift, you deserve it.

Keep going-- you're doing great!!  :)

• Like 2