QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Waiting for my brain to re-calibrate

Kyle_Chaos

haha me too !

I wait months and months, and there's been a little change but nothing TOO noticeable. It's IRRITATING..

There's also the psychological aspect of comparing a brain functioning at normal speed to one ON speed. It makes you think you're slow all the time even if you aren't.

• Like 1

To be honest with you, I felt meh for at least 6 months after quitting. I remember the very first time I felt excitement, it was my best friend's wedding, and it was the best feeling ever. It does come back, and I've started to see a lot improvement in having interest in things again. It truly is all about patience. Life isn't fun every day, but I have ups again (downs too), and it's so worth it!

• Like 3

Thanks guys -- the support and encouragement is really helpful during these times of complete dullness - as in very little excites me. I'm drinking green smoothies and doing everything I can to be healthy and still feel meh for most of the day. 2 months it's been, 4 more months to go... til 6 UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But really what's the alternative??? There is none, maybe that's what feels so depressing.

• Like 1

Thanks guys -- the support and encouragement is really helpful during these times of complete dullness - as in very little excites me. I'm drinking green smoothies and doing everything I can to be healthy and still feel meh for most of the day. 2 months it's been, 4 more months to go... til 6 UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But really what's the alternative??? There is none, maybe that's what feels so depressing.

You will be okay, promise. Do you have a job or school? Do you have something you are excited about as a career?

I think that is the key to the happiness. Doing what you love. So focus on that and focus on doing hobbies you love

• Like 3

You will be okay, promise. Do you have a job or school? Do you have something you are excited about as a career?

I think that is the key to the happiness. Doing what you love. So focus on that and focus on doing hobbies you love

Totally agree - I need to have something to look forward to in life! Whether that's a vacation coming up or (for me) a new job or even hitting a small goal, that's what keeps me going forward. I find when there's nothing to look forward to it is really hard to even get out of bed in the morning.

• Like 4

Totally agree - I need to have something to look forward to in life! Whether that's a vacation coming up or (for me) a new job or even hitting a small goal, that's what keeps me going forward. I find when there's nothing to look forward to it is really hard to even get out of bed in the morning.

Yeah, exactly. Before the adderall i was in a rut with no purpose and it was hard enough getting by without fighting the adderall addiction, so i am blessed to have some path to walk down now, or i don't know i could keep going.

So yes, it's a really good idea to set goals of any kind to look forward to

• Like 1

Do you have a job or school? Do you have something you are excited about as a career?

I do, believe it or not, have a full-fledged career :mellow: -- I'm just not too excited about it but it's the only thing I've ever done... I have a few projects I'm involved with but definitely need to start focusing on some new things. It's just hard to get motivated. I miss that feeling of doing something I love - FLOW .... haven't felt that in ages.

• Like 1

I do, believe it or not, have a full-fledged career :mellow: -- I'm just not too excited about it but it's the only thing I've ever done... I have a few projects I'm involved with but definitely need to start focusing on some new things. It's just hard to get motivated. I miss that feeling of doing something I love - FLOW .... haven't felt that in ages.

I know what you mean. It is hard to find an interest. Even harder finding the motivation to try new things. I miss that feeling too, but on adderall it wasn't genuine.

<3

• Like 1

I know that state of apathy and anhedonia well, especially as it relates to work. It took about a year for me to feel any real interest in life again. What helped me was accepting that I might never have a "calling" or "passion" that will be fulfilled through a job, that I might need to find meaning in other ways. I have always been a jack of all trades, master of none kind of person. Barbara Scher's book Refuse to Choose is a good read if you feel bummed about having many surface level interests rather than one burning passion in life.

• Like 2

I honestly don't feel like I'll ever care about things again. I was kind of a sociopath before Adderall, now how little I care is just ridiculous.

But on adderall we care way too much about things until we eventually have a meltdown. I think it's good to not care too much about stuff..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is making me not want to quit. Or more accurately making me think I'll relapse.

I'm sorry you feel so "meh". That kinda bland non-feeling is almost worse than full on depression. At least sadness is a feeling. Why don't you FORCE yourself to try one new thing every weekend? Get a friend to go too if you can. Go indoor rock climbing, hiking, see a play, etc. Pick random stuff that is completely out of your comfort zone. When I quit adderall years ago that's what I did and it really helped. I discovered a few new passions that I still enjoy. :-)

That kinda bland non-feeling is almost worse than full on depression. At least sadness is a feeling.

The blandness is not pleasant - I'm not sure which is worse, blandness or depression... They both seem to come in phases and they both eventually pass ... and then come back ... and then you start feeling better for a while ... and maybe the next time you start feeling better for a little longer ... then the blandness ... that's as far as I've gotten. But I'll take it! IMHO it still beats the shit out of being a wired sociopath :ph34r:

• Like 3

The blandness is not pleasant - I'm not sure which is worse, blandness or depression... They both seem to come in phases and they both eventually pass ... and then come back ... and then you start feeling better for a while ... and maybe the next time you start feeling better for a little longer ... then the blandness ... that's as far as I've gotten. But I'll take it! IMHO it still beats the shit out of being a wired sociopath :ph34r:

I love your last sentence. It TOTALLY beats the hell out of being a wired sociopath.

So far the way I've escaped the blandness is getting out of my routine. I don't mean like going on a lunchtime run (although exercise is good) but like going away for the weekend, to a cabin in the woods or just out of town. Those are the times I've really been able to exist truly free of thinking about adderall. Then coming home and going back to work, sure it still kinda sucks but at least you know there's some human joy left in you.