QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Getting the old me back... nope, that's never happening... adderall changed me forever

I think it's natural to dwell on yourself and your flaws more when you're unemployed - I say that because I'm going through a job search right now, and the longer I'm unemployed the more anxious, fearful and unconfident I get. So, I think it's a normal reaction to life circumstances, and you would feel similarly if you were in the same position but had never taken Adderall because like you said, you had problems before the drug, too. It's just a case of having to feel your emotions rather than numbing them.

Don't blame yourself for the decisions you've made. Especially the whole working too soon thing. Uh, you needed a job at the time, didn't you?! We all make decisions we regret, with or without drugs influencing us. In fact, most of the life decisions I regret happened either before or after Adderall. On Adderall I was kind of just stuck in life, stagnating. Now I have to move forward on my own volition and that's scary.

I think it gives us character to go through this, and empathy as you said, so there are some positives to this whole clusterfuck. I feel lost too, and like I don't know where to go from here. I think just moving forward and doing anything is key. Better to refine your life as you move along rather than standing still, paralyzed, which is what I've been doing the past two months. I might start going to some more group meetings, just to be more social.

A few months ago when I was contemplating quitting my job, I told a therapist that I was scared to work at a new job without Adderall because I felt like I never knew what I was doing when it came to my work life. He started laughing and said, "Cassie, none of us know what the fuck we're doing!" That made me feel better, like, oh yeah, everyone is just as fucked up as everyone else!

Anyway, not sure if this makes any sense, but I think many of us share your feelings. And just so you know, I feel a shitload better now than I did at 9 months sober. I'd say I feel pretty much back to normal, just a few minor kinks to work out at this stage. BTW your picture is funny. What are you eating?

• Like 3

Nice post.  I think its important to grieve your past. I've spent a lot of time thinking about my life adderall. I remember vividly the first day I took it. Through my meditation I've come to realize adderall was just a symptom of my life spinning out of control.  I lost my job due to adderall use but I used adderall due to my job.  Life has clearly given us a time out. We just need to love the place we are in.   

• Like 3

Zk, you summed up in about 75 words what it took me about 400 to say.  

And here we three are, with the perils of time on our hands (oh, the irony... what we would have given for time off to do nothing a few short months ago, huh?!), and nothing but apparent anxiety to guide us through.

ZK, I have just started meditating too.  As in, last week.  I think it is going to be very helpful.  Bout time something was!  

BTW:  The Commonwealth rules this post (2 canadians and an Australian!) and I'm eating fries and a burger in the pic.  It was one of the first pictures taken of me when I came off adderall... I was so excited to be eating food again, and enjoying the taste!  

Yep, none of us know what we're doing.

Part of life is growth, therefore we were never going to stay the same person over time.  Being on Adderall has given us all the unique perspective, a blessing in disguise as it were, of seeing ourselves at our worst and being able to contrast that with who we are at our best.  Going forward we have been given the opportunity to take those things that we now know are truly important and build ourselves into that person.  It isn't an easy process and it won't be perfect but I am excited about having a chance to choose who I want to be and I am excited to see what that person looks like in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, etc.  You didn't really lose 5 years; you had a 5 year education in finding out who you don't want to be.

You are obviously having a down day and I'm sure it is aggravated by your job search.  I hope that you have the chance to take a step back, take a deep breath, relax, and find your motiviation to continue fighting.

• Like 3

You didn't really lose 5 years; you had a 5 year education in finding out who you don't want to be.

I was going to say something like this too. You can't lose years of your life, because even though you were on Adderall, you still grew and changed simply due to the passage of time.

MFA- Try listening to some of the chants its weird but it works. I have a few Buddhist chants apps installed on my iphone.  I think its good for the mind grapes. Try it  and let me know what you think. 

Cassie- "none of us know what the fuck we're doing!" yup so true. 

BTW God Save the Queen! 

what are the names of the apps you are referring to?

MFA,

WORD UP. I've definitely undergone/am in the mist of a grieving process. Coming up on six months and feeling a bit lost. I've got some of my energy back, have processed a lot what's happened the last ~6 years, but am unsure about what to do going forward. 

It's like the summer after high school, minus that feeling of excitement and endless possibility. I am grateful to be where I am, though.

Best,

HC

• Like 2

• 2 months later...