QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Did any of you have someone to help you through the quitting process?

Bubbagump99

And that sucks because I feel like I need to have someone to help me, or here, to understand, to support me... Something, anything. 8 years on this shit and I feel like I just can't do it alone. FML

Well this place is a great place to start, you'll be in the company of a lot of people who understand adderall and prescription amphetamines,

I didn't know of all the other people who were suffering the same problem until I came across this awesome forum.

• Like 4

Go to NA or Smart recovery meetings. Get some phone numbers. There are oodles of recovering pill addicts out there. I have a friend who was a former meth addict who was great to talk to, especially for the first year off. Understood amphetamine withdrawal.

• Like 4

Hey friends,

Let’s be completely honest.   In some ways, quitting IS inherently a somewhat lonely process.   It forces you to face and overcome some of the most challenging aspects of yourself: willpower, motivation, self-mastery, personal strength, dedication, creating a vision of the life you want to live and pursuing it.  And nobody quite knows what it’s like to be in your head except for you.  Very few people around you will understand exactly what quitting adderall is like…. except people who have been there. 

This is why a lot of us turn to the boards here.   These fine folks have been key to my quitting process.

But equally important have been my close loved ones.  In terms of my personal life, I've explained to only the very close people in my life, and they’ve been super helpful even though they could not quite understand.  A lot of people understand quitting something, cigarettes or overeating or booze or whatever, but quitting adderall is a very specific process.  Nobody in my life could 100% relate.  People could imagine and therefore in some ways empathize, though, either from the perspective of having tried it and/or something similiar (drug-wise) at soime point... or else from the perspective of quitting smoking, or something similar. 

In any case, it was and has been crucial to engage with a) people on this board, and B) the closest loved ones I have—whether they could or could not immediately relate.

If I could have had some quitting friends in close proximity, that would have been helpful.  But know that it's doable either way :)

• Like 3

Awesome response Occasional!  So well put.

I think this is probably the best place to start as far as meeting people who understand what you are going through.  I am more than happy to support you in whatever way I can. Please feel free to message me if you need someone to text, email, or talk. It helps me to help others so I am very glad to act in this capacity if you need someone to just hear you out.

I like what Cassie said too.  You can always find recovery buddies in NA or Smart meetings.  There are some other recovery groups out there as well. 

Just check in daily on this forum and let us know how you're doing.  Someone is usually always available to respond pretty quickly.

Wishing you all the success in the world.  You got this! :)

• Like 2

I have this place for specific advice and some friends that helped me along the way.  I attended a few NA meetings, you really have to find a meeting that works for you.  Lots of people make it through this process largely alone  but having some support network is wise.  

• Like 1

I am always open to a message if someone just needs a more personal ear.  I met up with one person on this forum and tried to coach her a bit.  I hope it helped, but I haven't heard from her in a while... I think personal, face to face meetings can be difficult for some.  It can make you feel inadequate if you are hearing how it is possible to quit and you are not there yet.  We each have/had our own situation and justifications for our use.  I think a lot of the time is spent trying to explain to others "why".  Almost like you are defending yourself from the judgment you are sure is coming.  Sometimes, alone and anonymous is better. 

I also felt like I needed to be left alone because I was very prickly in the beginning.  I wanted advice when I wanted it, but not when I didn't want it.  You know what I mean?  I think that is why this website is so helpful.  If I wanted to just read and soak in the good vibes, then I could.  If I wanted to comment, then I would.  It was some tiny bit of comfort and control.  It sounds weird now...  BUT, I can't argue with results! 

• Like 3

I know. Wouldn't it be great if we could all have one big meeting one day. All of us clean. Clear minded, having never even met each other at the worst of our addiction. Thank you everyone who has posted here and given advice or support and encouragement. Just because people don't post they may have read something that changed there life. Prescription drug addiction is such a big problem. Adderall was our drug of choice but prescription addiction in general seems to be rampant these days. Many people are suffering. I'm just glad I'm free and I want to help set other people free. ðŸ‘

• Like 2