QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Parent recently diagnosed with dementia and Parkinsonism

Subtracterall

One of my parents was recently diagnosed with dementia and Parkinsonism.  This parent was adopted so their medical history was always a mystery until a few months ago. It's one of the reasons I am able to stay off addy now so easily. 

My parent is young (early 70s). Needless to say I 'm very concerned over my parents recent diagnosis for them and for myself as well for obvious reasons.

I am trying to come to terms that I will likely come down with both of these myself sometime in the next 30 years and my life will be over.  

how do I stop this from happening to me?  Is it even possible?

I am sorry for what you're going through, I can't imagine how immensely difficult it must be. 

I have read about the benefits of ginkgo biloba, and have been trying it myself to improve my memory. I actually break open a capsule and take half of the powder in tea, as a whole capsule usually gives me a headache, but it is supposed to increase bloodflow to the brain. 

I also have heard that activating the balance centers in your brain can help ward these things off. Practice standing on one foot and then closing your eyes. Then try the other foot. It seems impossible at first but it gets easier, I promise! I also know a man who took up skateboarding in his 70s- he's a professor at my university. He's in his 80s now, and rides through campus on his skateboard. Riding a bike is said to help with Parkinson's too. 

My family has a history of these things and I have a history of adderall abuse so I've had these same worries. 

Good luck with this. We are all here for you. 

• Like 1