QuittingAdderall.com Forums

I'm revamping QuittingAdderall. What would you like to see?

Mike

Hi All,

As I mentioned in my last announcement, part of the reason I've been absent from the comments and posts lately is because I'm working on tying up the loose ends in my life so I can focus on redesigning the main Quitting Adderall website (which will include fancy new forum software EDIT: New forum software integrated! You're looking at it.). The traffic to this site just hit an all-time high yesterday, and it keeps going up. I think it's time for this website to grow up from a little blog into a real, purposefully-organized website.

So if you have an idea on how to improve the site and QuittingAdderall.com to the next level, please post it! Now is the time to get your suggestions for the website heard, while I'm still in the "sketching stuff on notebook paper during class" phase.

I'll start things off with CosmiKitten's excellent suggestions...

1. Add a banner for the forums on the main website, so we get more active users.

2. Set up a chat room for people to get instant help and support

What else would you like to see on the new site?

UPDATES: Things I've added so far...

1. Fancy new form software, with the main QuittingAdderll.com site template integrated with the forum so the main navigation stays at the top while you're on the forums.

2. New drop-down nav items for How to Quit Adderall, Fun Stuff, and General Adderall Info

3. Full category organization on the articles page.

• 2 weeks later...

well first of all ... THANK YOU for taking this up! No one else is gonna do this for us ... certainly not the organized medical profession, as badly in hock to Big Pharma as it is. I really like the comments, and the discussion board, and hope they can remain open. Otherwise the monitoring becomes a huge chore.

I'd like to see links to relevant articles in the popular or scientific press. At the very least the idea of "Adderall abuse" (i.e. getting strung out on Adderall *without* a doctor's assistance) is getting some attention now. There are also some pretty good scholars and activists who have spoken out and written on the hazards of psychoactive drugs--especially those used for performance enhancement, or to medically treat problems that may be socially rooted or just part of the human experience. Some of my favorites:

Lawrence Diller, M.D. (Running on Ritalin, The Last Normal Child)

David Healy, M.D. (Let Them Eat Prozac, The Antidepressant Era)

Robert Whitaker (Anatomy of an Epidemic)

Carl Elliott (Better than Well, White Coat Black Hat)

Nicolas Rasmussen (On Speed: The Many Lives of Amphetamine)

Richard Bentall (Madness Explained)

Some or all of these authors would be glad to share their thoughts, and may have ideas as to how users and ex-users can contribute to an understanding of the problems we're up against. Like lots of us I've wished I could find a doctor to help, but the research dollars and research agenda are controlled by the drug companies in this country, so it's hard to find a doctor who will even recognize that a problem exists. The authors above have at least shown a willingness to listen to "anecdotal evidence" from those who have taken the drugs. Maybe we could help put together an anonymous survey, or whatever, for someone who is serious about studying the problem and has some chance of getting listened to. Anyway, thanks again!

Hi Joanne!

That's a great suggestion. Thanks for posting it. And an even bigger thanks for actually taking the time to list out those names. That gives me a great place to start. It is super-hard to find doctors who don't just evade the notion of a problem.

Hey Mike: I would like to see you post a link to your interview on WGBH in Boston. It was great! You made a lot more sense than that cheesy Dr. Hallowell who was interviewed later on. It was kind of funny to hear him insist that the effects of Adderall are so, so different in people with "true ADHD" as opposed to "abusers" like yourself. If there is such a difference, then why was it so easy for you to persuade a Highly Qualified Doctor that you had True ADHD and needed a script?

Here's a direct link to the show (it worked this morning anyway):

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/Greater-Boston-11/episodes/-25769

@Joanne,

Yeah I'm totally not used to seeing myself on TV yet so I'm kind of embarrassed to post that. But glad you thought it was OK!

@Erin,

I like the sobriety calculator idea! I could build that easy. I could even make it store a cookie so it remembers you when you come back, and maybe whenever you visit the site you would see a big "145 Days!" number or whatever....maybe I'd have to add a little link beside the day counter that that says "Reset count. :-("

It's just a question of where to put it. I think once I finish with the site organization tweaks I'll be able to find a good place for it. Thanks for the suggestion!