QuittingAdderall.com Forums

QUESTION FOR MIKE!

newboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Newboy,

Again, I'm just a laymen. But I don't think you've done any permanent damage, especially at that low a dose for that short of a time. Usually, quitting Adderall leaves you slightly worse off than you were before you took Adderall. You have your pre-Adderall chemistry, but the work habits you relied on before Adderall have atrophied.

It's like you've been walking with crutches for 5 months and now you're trying to run on your own without them. You're going to be a little sore and awkward at first, but if you keep at it you'll be back to your original strength.

For somebody who has been on it for years, their muscles are much more atrophied, so their rebuilding period is much longer.

Nearly all of the rebuilding is psychological. Based on your situation, it should only take you half a year or so and you'll be totally back to normal or better.... With one exception. You will still have the memory of what it was like to work on Adderall, and that may haunt you a little.

I know it's a little scary right now, but I promise you it'll get better in time.

Oh Jesus. I just read this and I'm feeling already on edge and unfocused at work.

My dad is a pharmacist and has sent me tons of material to read about amphetamine drugs. That's all I do now...read read read... I am so terrified that knowing what it is like to have a miracle drug like Adderall easily available. I am hoping that won't tempt me back into taking it. I was on Adderall for 6 years and was abusing it regularly. I haven't taken any in 3 days..so I'm struggling horribly.

I just want to feel happy and focused, naturally.

Hang in there Kathleen! This is just the beginning of a new and better life. I was also planning to taper off, but then I just said forget it and stopped altogether with half a bottle left... Give yourself permission to relax and just be whatever you want as you initially focus on your recovery...And just look at all the people on this board who are managing to sucessfully recover. You can do this...

Believe it or not, stimulants were even more readily available in the past.

If you've been reading a lot about amphetamines, here's something interesting.

I read in the book "On Speed" that stimulants were available over the counter before the 1970's in the form of Benzedrine. Or Benny's which is what they were nicknamed. Basicially it was the same thing as adderall, dexedrine, ritalin, vyvanese etc. What happened was people started abusing it like crazy and there was huge outbreak of benny addiction. So finally, in the 1970s, the government intervened and made amphetamines available only by prescription. Amphetamines were also classified as schedule II drugs, in the same class as other addictive prescribed substances like cocaine. Also, schedule II prescriptions could only be written out one month at a time.

This eventually, curbed the whole amphetamine addiction outbreak...

UNTIL...

In the 90's with the diagnosis of ADHD, particularly adult ADHD. This once again created renewed interest in amphetamines like ritalin, adderall etc...And according to the book, we're in the midst of a new addiction outbreak that threatens to surpass the amphetamine addiction of the 60's when these drugs were readily available over the counter.

I am now extremely skeptical about the diagnosis of ADHD and whether its been marketed like crazy by the pharmaceutical industry to bolster sales of stimulant medication. I mean, they make tons of money from selling adderall to the masses.

I never thought of diseases as being marketed to sell medications until I read this book and learned things like how when ritalin first came out and was marketed for depression, the drug bombed and sales were flat.

Check this out....

Ritalin Ad from 1966 [2]

Ritalin Ad from 1987 So this campaign is what caused ritalin sales to take off...

Anyway, just passing along some facts to chew on...

I just can't believe that diseases like ADHD are marketed to people to sell a drug. It feels really manipulative. (We don't like ritalin when we are depressed, but we are totally on board when it's for ADHD)

Hey InRecovery-

Those Ritalin ads were hillarious! That one from 1966 is the best!!! Reminds me of an adderallXR add I saw when I first started taking the shit about ten years ago. It went something like this:

It was a full page centerfold ad in a Sunday Parade newspaper magazine.

It featured an obviously-stimulated ten-year-old kid in his baseball clothes with his schoolbooks closed and stacked on the desk behind him, bat&mitt in hand and ready to go to baseball practice. At the top of the page in big block letters it read:

Already

Done with my

Homework

Dad!

Those old ads are hysterical! Boy, did Ritalin go all out in promoting that stuff. I like the 'Many Faces of Ritalin' ad (somewhere on the page http://www.bonkersinstitute.org/medshow/kidstuff.html) that shows a child, a teenager, a mom, and a grandpa all happy on their Ritalin. Ritalin for the whole family!

It's also funny how you can see from the ads that ADD used to be called MBD, or Minimal Brain Disfunction. It's like you can actually trace the invention of the disease through the advertising campaigns.

Like one pharma representative said in a recent article (I think it was in the Washington Post article I posted), "You can't push a drug if people don't think they have a disease."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...