QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Sharing my story of addiction

ashley6

sounds cool. at the very least you can plant the seed in the garden of their mind that it only leads to very few ultimate destinations... everyone has to live their own life and learn things however they're gonna do it- probably for most of us that is the hard way, but the lucky ones will hear you, and hopefully live to tell the tail. did it feel good? rewarding? therapeutic?

Ashley,

If you can influence even one person then you have made a difference. If the class was attentive and asking questions, then you influenced young minds and you have made a difference. It is good that you were part of a team of "addicts" who have differing addiction experiences, because the take home message for these kids is not necessarily that adderall (or whatever their drug of choice was) is a bad drug, but that addiction to anything should be avoided whenever possible. Easier said than done because most people will find themselves in the bowels of an addiction and think "how the fuck did I end up here?"

I don't know exactly why it is so therapeutic to share our addiction experiences. The "tell your story" forum on this website is by far the most popular feature and my favorite place to check for new content. I believe it is an essential part of the healing process so we can move on in life, and we grow from our addiction experiences by sharing it with others.

The faces of addiction are simply a cross-section of American society. Addicts and their drugs are demonized by our educational and religious institutions so it is easy to picture a drug addict as someone other than your uncle, teacher, or next door neighbor; but that is exactly who we are. Has anybody ever wondered why most (if not all) of the people who post on these forum boards are Americans? After all, you are reading this on the Internet.

• Like 1

Yes, it was so therapeutic. I also have a huge fear of public speaking, so getting through that feeling somewhat comfortable felt fabulous. I think thise of us who have struggled with addiction can do ourselves a major service by sharing our stories. It's annoying to me that people have to ve secretive about addiction because of the social stigma attached to it. You made a good point about Americans only being on this site. My stepmom is Brazilian, and she talks about how different it is over there in how people deal with problems. Ritalin is the only ADHD medication there, and it's hardly prescribed, according to her. We are such a fix with medication society, and it's scary because some of these medications are just like illegal drugs, with not a lot of research on what the long-term effects can be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goldman,

It was more of a question/ answer session, so I don't, but I did an interview with Self magazine telling my whole story, so when that article comes out I'll post it :) Some people would rather deal with this in private, but for me, it feels good to share my story and not be hush hush about it all. There's something good with being open about this, for me anyway. To each their own, of course.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Yes, it was so therapeutic. I also have a huge fear of public speaking, so getting through that feeling somewhat comfortable felt fabulous. I think thise of us who have struggled with addiction can do ourselves a major service by sharing our stories. It's annoying to me that people have to ve secretive about addiction because of the social stigma attached to it. You made a good point about Americans only being on this site. My stepmom is Brazilian, and she talks about how different it is over there in how people deal with problems. Ritalin is the only ADHD medication there, and it's hardly prescribed, according to her. We are such a fix with medication society, and it's scary because some of these medications are just like illegal drugs, with not a lot of research on what the long-term effects can be.

I'm so proud of you Ashley. You have been of service to others from the very start. And that's how it's done in Recovery. You are a shining star; an example for all of us to follow.

Ashley,

If you can influence even one person then you have made a difference. If the class was attentive and asking questions, then you influenced young minds and you have made a difference. It is good that you were part of a team of "addicts" who have differing addiction experiences, because the take home message for these kids is not necessarily that adderall (or whatever their drug of choice was) is a bad drug, but that addiction to anything should be avoided whenever possible. Easier said than done because most people will find themselves in the bowels of an addiction and think "how the fuck did I end up here?"

I don't know exactly why it is so therapeutic to share our addiction experiences. The "tell your story" forum on this website is by far the most popular feature and my favorite place to check for new content. I believe it is an essential part of the healing process so we can move on in life, and we grow from our addiction experiences by sharing it with others.

The faces of addiction are simply a cross-section of American society. Addicts and their drugs are demonized by our educational and religious institutions so it is easy to picture a drug addict as someone other than your uncle, teacher, or next door neighbor; but that is exactly who we are. Has anybody ever wondered why most (if not all) of the people who post on these forum boards are Americans? After all, you are reading this on the Internet.

You say it so well quit-once. Addiction to anything should be avoided, even the good stuff, especially the good stuff. We can find ourselves in the grip of addiction and wonder how we ever got there. We must be aware. We must become vigilant in the observations of our weaknesses as we experience living, for we are forever at risk.

It's great that Ashley is a spokeswoman for our forum. This thread was a pleasure to read almost a year after the original post.

• Like 1

Wow, I barely remember this post! Thank you for your kind words, Jon! I feel like I haven't been as active posting lately, but I'm on here almost every day reading. It reminds me maybe I should post more, whether I can help or not, because InRecovery, quit-once, Cassie, and LilTex were my life lines in early recovery....still are, really :) along with a lot of you newer members. I'm very proud of you for working hard on staying quit and consistently posting on the boards. Thank again, Jon!

• Like 1