QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Weight loss

thisWILLwork

Sometimes I think the reason I can't achieve my goal weight is because of my adderall. I'm 26, I've been taking some form of adderall, dex, etc since I was 13. I experienced weight loss and weight gain on the pills. Over the last 8 years I have had trouble getting to a healthy weight. Sometimes I think it is because I don't understand my body's needs for nutrition. Since I spend so much time on the pills, I've learned to eat without feeling hungry. Then I binge when I don't have the adderall in my system anymore. I'm sorry for rambling, just curious if anyone out there can relate and maybe help me out by telling their story. FYI, I just found this website an hour ago and I haven't actually quit my adderall yet but I know it must happen.

Hi thisWILLwork, welcome! Glad to hear you're thinking of quitting. I hope you follow through with it.

I will say that eventually, adderall made me gain weight. I was all malnourished and my metabolism dropped and I was sedentary, and all the weight loss that happened when I first started eventually became weight gain. If you read the "Eight Stages of Amphetamine Abuse" under the "Announcements" part of the forum, it says that in Stage 7 (where I was), some people gain weight from adderall. I don't know your situation, but I imagine it might be fairly common after a long time of taking it. It prevents lots of people from making healthy food choices, and increases the urge to drink beer etc.

• Like 1

I agree with you, thisWILLwork, that maybe you don't understand what your body needs for health and nutrition. Sounds like you have been punishing yourself for a number of years. The hardest thing to learn in this whole recovery process is self acceptance and forgiveness; is that a place you can try to start from?

• Like 1