QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Psychological Side Effects

nickib83

Hi everyone,

My ex-partner and I were together for over three years when he started on Adderall. I didn’t notice changes right away, but a few months after his dosage increased, I noticed a huge shift in his behaviour. 
He was irritable with everything I said and did, which was generally uncharacteristic of him. His overall demeanour changed; he was no longer calm and laid back, he didn’t laugh much, he seemed to be in a bad mood all the time, he wasn’t sweet and affectionate and started to withdraw from family and friends. I felt like I was walking on eggshells because I didn’t want to do anything that might irritate him. 
I brought it to his attention, but it did not go well. 
Eventually, he started to treat me like I was his enemy. He stopped trusting me and accused me of lying, even though I never lied to him. Sometimes the things he would accuse me of didn’t even make sense and they were way out in left field, but he truly believed them. Or he would recall something from years prior, but he would have the details incorrect. 
He would say hurtful things and not even care about how they made me feel. 
He eventually ended the relationship but couldn’t give an exact reason why. He showed no emotion or empathy for the pain he caused our family and has just walked away. 
The way he is now is such a contrast to the caring and sensitive person I knew before Adderall. He gets angry every time I suggest that maybe Adderall has altered his personality and made him stop feeling love. 
There is nothing I can do at this point, but for my own closure and mental health, I am curious to know if anyone has dealt with these side effects while being on it, or witnessed a loved one acting this way. 
It’s so awful to watch someone you love transform into someone else and start hating you, and it is all out of your control. 
thanks