QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Unemployed and Losing Hope

FisherKing

I have been sober for 7 months exactly, and I still look and feel bad. I was stupid and quit my job while I was still on the drug. I had a grandiose idea of myself. I thought I'd get back to work in a new job in no time. Two months after quitting work, I stopped taking the drug and was so sick with withdrawals for months that I couldn't even think about looking for a new job. I could only focused on getting better. Here I am, 7 months sober, 10 months unemployed, on the brink of homelessness, and I can't find another job. I've looked and looked and looked. I know the reason I can't land a job right now is because of the anhedonia and my appearance. I'm well educated, and I've been in my industry of over 20 years, but Adderall made me look like a meth addict. I'm still waiting for the black circles under my eyes to disappear. The sad part is, I can hardly think while I'm in job interviews to answer questions or convey the old fun loving guy I used to be. Every time I get passed over for a position, I go deeper into my dark place where there is no hope to be found and no light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know what to do. Please, someone, convince me this will get better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tjzen said:

You can make it through this period of anxiety and depression. If I could do it you can. 

Have you been exercising? I find that every time I start getting overwhelmed if I go on a bike ride, for a walk or to the gym I feel calmer after.

How long did you take adderall? 

Thank you. I hope you're right.

I workout hard everyday and walk about 2.5 to 4 miles a day to help get a handle on my anxiety. I was on 60 to 90 mg for about 11 years.

• Like 3

@FisherKing it’ll get better if you stay the course and keep moving forward. This season will be one of the hardest you ever go through, but it’ll change you for the better if you let it. 7 months is a hard time in the journey. You’re far enough along to be out of the worst of it, but now it’s time to start picking up the pieces and start over.

You need to do something to start feeling better, that’s not something that just happens if you’re sitting around not taking care of yourself. So set some small achievable goals for yourself. Even just showering and cleaning yourself up. This isn’t a great forum for financial advice; there are too many variables to consider without a proper conversation. I wish you the best of luck with your job search and finances. 

I’ve been where you are. I was unemployed for 2 years after I quit and filed for bankruptcy. Things started to change when I started doing the small things like eating well, exercising, etc.. there’s no magic formula for doing this without hard work.

• Like 4

On 9/3/2023 at 7:57 AM, DrewK15 said:

@FisherKing it’ll get better if you stay the course and keep moving forward. This season will be one of the hardest you ever go through, but it’ll change you for the better if you let it. 7 months is a hard time in the journey. You’re far enough along to be out of the worst of it, but now it’s time to start picking up the pieces and start over.

You need to do something to start feeling better, that’s not something that just happens if you’re sitting around not taking care of yourself. So set some small achievable goals for yourself. Even just showering and cleaning yourself up. This isn’t a great forum for financial advice; there are too many variables to consider without a proper conversation. I wish you the best of luck with your job search and finances. 

I’ve been where you are. I was unemployed for 2 years after I quit and filed for bankruptcy. Things started to change when I started doing the small things like eating well, exercising, etc.. there’s no magic formula for doing this without hard work.

I hope it does get better because right now it feels like the end of the world. I have thoughts of suicide everyday. I feel so hopeless.

@tjzen Do withdrawals cause these thoughts even after 7 months? I know I'm not completely healed because I have a lot of issues that haven't been fixed like absolutely no libido, can't sleep, and my appearance is atrocious. I have sunken eyes, black circles, and brain fog to go along with the overwhelming anxiety.

• Like 1

I'm doing much better today. I actually started feeling better last night and fell asleep at 8 pm and woke up the next morning at 6 am. That's the most sleep I've gotten since I quit 7.25 months ago. I usually don't get more than 4 hours of sleep. I also don't have that fear of going places today either. I got out and got some things taken care of that I've let linger for too long. I feel like my old self for the first time in a long time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's like the 7 months of recovery is the golden ticket. @DrewK15 was right about it being time to start picking up the pieces and starting over. After a couple of months seeking work but not being able to function well enough to interview, the job offers started rolling in because my senses started coming back. I could  finally answer questions and interact in the interviews. It was wild watching myself recover my senses. Now, I have a chance to climb out of this valley. My recovery is pretty much tracking along with what others have experienced.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 12:03 AM, FisherKing said:

Today marks my 8th month clean and tomorrow morning I'm going back to work for the first time in those 8 months. I'm nervous and excited at the same time, but I'm so glad to be getting back on my feet.

How's the new job going? Pretty awesome accomplishment!

@Jon B It's tough. I thought I'd be able to jump back in like I did when I was tweaking. I'm having a really hard time sitting there all day and concentrating on tasks, especially with all the anxiety of starting a new job and hoping I'm doing all the right things to impress my employer. I have this huge fear looming over me that I'll lose my job before I even get good and started. I hope I can conquer that fear because it's probably irrational and could turn into self-fulfilling prophecy if I'm not careful. Also, I get very anxious when things get quiet and I'm not busy. Hopefully I'll get better at this in the coming weeks. I have been out of work for a while and it's going to take a minute to get back into the groove.

@FisherKing Man you will be fine! You got this. "Irrational fears" resonates with me big time. I come up with the worst possible scenario for everything that never seems to happen. -   I worry about self-fulfilling prophecys - I feel like I knew I would end up in this situation sooner or later when I started taking adderall in college.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FisherKing said:

@Jon B It's tough. I thought I'd be able to jump back in like I did when I was tweaking. I'm having a really hard time sitting there all day and concentrating on tasks, especially with all the anxiety of starting a new job and hoping I'm doing all the right things to impress my employer. I have this huge fear looming over me that I'll lose my job before I even get good and started. I hope I can conquer that fear because it's probably irrational and could turn into self-fulfilling prophecy if I'm not careful. Also, I get very anxious when things get quiet and I'm not busy. Hopefully I'll get better at this in the coming weeks. I have been out of work for a while and it's going to take a minute to get back into the groove.

Get you some l-tyrosine to help your focus for a little while.  I also go to 5 hour energy when I need a little extra.  Also try breathing exercises they help keep your anxiety away.

I have to write down each step of what I’m working on to help me focus and get in the groove when I don’t want to.  Maybe some of this can help you like it did me if you are interested in trying.  

• Like 1