QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Getting Things Done

We all struggle with motivation and getting shit done, whether we're in recovery or not. And those of you who have ADD/ADHD this can be a real struggle. Remembering what's on the to do list can be really exhausting if you don't have a system that works for you.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner, but there's a really great book and philosophy about the art of time and task management by a guy called David Allen called "Getting Things Done". It's super simple and decades old, but it still seems to work:

Here's a good summary: http://lifehacker.com/5986867/david-allen-explains-how-to-master-your-to+do-list

Basically the concept is that if it's in your head, write it down. Spend time doing that and then figure out categories that work for you. For example, a previous boss of mine had a "5 minute" folder on his email that filed emails that would take 5 mins or less to respond to or take action on. Then, if he had a spare 5-10 mins before a meeting, he could get this stuff done. Etc etc. Before, I've had lists of "phone calls", "personal", "projects", "family" etc.

Any other helpful tips on time or task management are welcome!

• Like 2

Very good advice. Love it.

I kind of forgot just how 'ADD'(or whatever the fuck) my brain is.

I forget more than i remember as far as my to do list goes.

And just yesterday alone i interrupted/cut off someone speaking 8 times. People probably think i am so rude, but in my mind i am so eager to speak i don't think, i just speak.

Any advice for that?

Great topic here. My method for getting stuff done is to break the project down into its Smallest Acheivable Unit (SAU). So if I have a big project, like cleaning out the garage, I try to visualize how I want my clean garage to look when I am done. But simple cleaning of the garage is way to big of a project to just get started on. So I look at the storage area and visualize how I want that to look. Then I look at the cluttered shelves and visualize what I want to use them for or move them after they have been de-cluttered. And finally I just pick one shelf and remove everything from it to get started.

If the area to clean is really cluttered, it always helps me to dig my way into a corner or clean out a drawer or shelf so there are places to put the things that have been freshly sorted. This method applies to other things besides cleaning but I have a lot of cleaning to do since I let the clutter build up to high levels during adderall.

• Like 1

Writing it down is key. I basically write everything down. The funny thing is I made lists ALL THE TIME on adderall but it was a joke because the list didn't motivate me to check things off. It was just the list-making itself I enjoyed, and then I'd move on to whatever stimulating task I felt like doing next, often a project that wasn't even on the list.

Anyway, now I write everything down in a notebook or on scrap paper, and then pull out the to-do items and write them on a separate master weekly list (split up into days). Similar to Quit Once's SAU strategy, I approach time management in manageable chunks: one week at a time and one day at a time. Anything that's further than a week out goes onto a Google calendar in its approximate location and I don't think about it again until that week rolls around, then I plan it into the weekly list.

And SAU for task management. Also, if it's a big project that's hard to break into small achievable tasks I write down "spend one hour researching/brainstorming X" so at least I can put a goal around making some progress.

Great topic! Look forward to reading more tips from others.

• Like 1

We all struggle with motivation and getting shit done, whether we're in recovery or not. And those of you who have ADD/ADHD this can be a real struggle. Remembering what's on the to do list can be really exhausting if you don't have a system that works for you.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner, but there's a really great book and philosophy about the art of time and task management by a guy called David Allen called "Getting Things Done". It's super simple and decades old, but it still seems to work:

Here's a good summary: http://lifehacker.co...your-to do-list

Basically the concept is that if it's in your head, write it down. Spend time doing that and then figure out categories that work for you. For example, a previous boss of mine had a "5 minute" folder on his email that filed emails that would take 5 mins or less to respond to or take action on. Then, if he had a spare 5-10 mins before a meeting, he could get this stuff done. Etc etc. Before, I've had lists of "phone calls", "personal", "projects", "family" etc.

Any other helpful tips on time or task management are welcome!

Hey MFA, I love that book. There is a website called Vitalist.com that basically turns his whole method into a website. ticklers etc.. I'm not sure if David Allen is involved with this website or not. But the purpose of the site turns his book into actionable form.

You can enter in all your "actions" and then label them etc. etc. It takes a little bit of time to learn the website, but once you do, it's great. I check my list every day. When I make my lists, I dont go as detailed as he describes in the book. I find that takes too much time, labeling everything. But it keeps me on track. because i know if something is on that list, i wont forget it.

If you try out the site and have any questions about how to use it, feel free to ask...I spent a lot of time learning it a while back. If you learn how to use it, you will totally understand the GTD system.

One new feature they added on the website, that i really like but took getting used to, is that once you cross something off your list, it's gone, you can never get it back and look at it again. I guess that it's supposed to reinforce the whole principle of O.H.I.O. "only handle it ONCE"...