QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Starting a journal, good idea?

ddw5053

In the midst of tryin to get sober and better Im still tryin to feel better mentally and be more aware of whats going on around me. Just wondering if I should start keeping a journal of my thoughts throughout the day since half the time I still find myself uncertain about anything. Almost like I can't even remembered what happened an hour ago. I mean Ive been adderall free for about a month now but still feel those side effects. Does anyone have any input on keeping a journal? Is it a good idea or therapeutic way to manage your thoughts? Kinda hard to get into or start so Im looking for some motivation...

hells yeah, journals are great. I myself do not keep one, wish I was so motivated to do so, used to, but yeah, I'm sure its a great way to dump thoughts and feelings and get creative and everything. I have actually never ever ever heard of anyone dissing keeping a journal. I think it's universally thought of as great.

• Like 1

Kinda hard to get into or start so Im looking for some motivation...

It sounds like journaling could be good for you. I mean I have to agree with Sky, I think it's good for pretty much everyone. Personally, I can relate to you on the motivation factor--it can be hard to get into.

Since quitting, I've gotten really into post-it notes. I have a variety of sizes, including the big ones. I just scrawl down random ideas as I get them and put them anywhere I want. It's less intimidating than a whole journal, which has scary white empty blank pages bound within a whole huge book. I'm hoping that as I recover more I'll be capable of journaling again, but for now it's whatever works.

But a journal can take many forms. It doesn't have to be a formal bound book with white parchment pages. It can be a spiral note book or even a legal pad. It can be a notebook with post-it notes affixed to the pages after they served their post it function. Keeping a journal is a great release. My latest journaling experience was keeping a food journal last summer. I recorded every calorie I consumed for about four months, with random thoughts and ideas interspersed with the food. All in a pocket sized spiral note pad. When I ran out of pages I quit journaling.

• Like 1

I think journaling is a GREAT idea. I do it on a daily basis. I just do it on my lap top though. It helps me process my thoughts and forumlate decision making. I think it's also really great for people with ADD because you can just jot something down when it strikes and then later you actually have a reminder!

Happy journaling! :)