QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Tips for beating writer's block?

BeHereNow

So as I discovered yesterday, red wine does NOT help with writer's block.

Quitting adderall DOES seem to help.....SORT OF. It's helping me fire my inner editor, and it's making my ideas more genuine. I'm not all caught in this swarm of ideas that turn into an unproductive, disjointed idea salad that can't come together.

On the other hand, (OK I'll just admit it)-- I miss that adrenaline/dopamine rush of getting all excited about a new project and getting started on it, brainstorming, and when I get into the flow, writing up a storm, letting it take on a life of its own.

But it's not there yet.

I'm working on my first big writing project since quitting, and I have my topic picked out but haven't written too much yet. It needs to be 20-25 pages. Oh yeah, and I have like a week till I have to present it, 2 weeks till the deadline.

This will be a huge milestone for me.

I would love some advice on how to break writer's block.

Things I've tried:

-Handwriting with sharpie markers on post-its, notecards and notebooks (helps, but now I have to get it onto the computer and unpack it)

-Taking my notebooks hiking with me and writing in the woods (helps somewhat, but also somewhat distracting because I just wanted to keep hiking, take pictures, etc.)

-One idea at a time

-Wearing a blindfold while touch typing (so I can't see or edit)

-I really want to get a typewriter, I hear that helps

-Trying to meditate into the sources of inspiration and what I'm REALLY interested in at the heart of it

All these are here, and I'm super inspired about my topic and I want to do it and do it right. But there seems to be something holding me back. Is it because of the deadline and the fact that I'm required to do this? I'm doing it because I WANT to, but technically there is someone standing over my shoulder, which makes it less exciting somehow.

I'm not gonna say I wish I could pop a pill right now.....though that part is there, I'm not entertaining it. I just want to ignite that fire right now. To jump start it and get it flowing.

What's tough is that it's something i LOVE.... so it's not the kind of process where i can say "fuck that frog" and try to get it done and over with while looking towards the end of the day. Some moments will suck but on the whole I need to enjoy the process if it's going to be any good.

Anyone have tricks or advice?

Absolutely. YES. I really think the delay IS because there is a deadline and that you are required to do this! (And also general busyness)

But my best advice is to just write something anything, you want to get WORDS ON THE PAGE. That is the goal. With 20-25 pages that is what you want to do. Then you can go back and fix it up and all inspiration and everything. But first get it done. Because the deadline will creep up on you before you know it.

But honestly after the first five pages you will start getting into a groove and start formulating ideas and THEN get inspired Bout where it is going. You won't actually have to write 25 pages first and go back to it to add inspiration...but the key thing is starting it and getting words on the paper. Two weeks may seem like a while but it comes up real fast. Also did u k ow The greatest feeling is having a Paper done in advance? I would even maybe aim to get it done by the time you have to present it if that is at all possible. That will also then give you a weeks time to edit and rewrite. So just sit down and start writing, get those first words on the page at all costs because that is always the hardest part. And once those pages start coming out you will feel so much better. Once u feel better about it, it's easier to get inspired about it.

Oh one more thing that I find helps me get started. Sometimes I rewrite or so simply regurgitate the professors topic question into my intro/first paragraph. Sometimes i just rephrase or paraphrase it.. That just gets me started which is what I want. Even though I know it's a weak introductory paragraph at least I've gotten moving. Then either as I am writing the paper or after I've completed the paper I will go back to the introduction and fix it.

Trust me, you will do great with your adderall free mind!

• Like 1

Absolutely. YES. I really think the delay IS because there is a deadline and that you are required to do this! (And also general busyness)

But my best advice is to just write something anything, you want to get WORDS ON THE PAGE. That is the goal. With 20-25 pages that is what you want to do. Then you can go back and fix it up and all inspiration and everything. But first get it done. Because the deadline will creep up on you before you know it.

But honestly after the first five pages you will start getting into a groove and start formulating ideas and THEN get inspired Bout where it is going. You won't actually have to write 25 pages first and go back to it to add inspiration...but the key thing is starting it and getting words on the paper. Two weeks may seem like a while but it comes up real fast. Also did u k ow The greatest feeling is having a Paper done in advance? I would even maybe aim to get it done by the time you have to present it if that is at all possible. That will also then give you a weeks time to edit and rewrite. So just sit down and start writing, get those first words on the page at all costs because that is always the hardest part. And once those pages start coming out you will feel so much better. Once u feel better about it, it's easier to get inspired about it.

Oh one more thing that I find helps me get started. Sometimes I rewrite or so simply regurgitate the professors topic question into my intro/first paragraph. Sometimes i just rephrase or paraphrase it.. That just gets me started which is what I want. Even though I know it's a weak introductory paragraph at least I've gotten moving. Then either as I am writing the paper or after I've completed the paper I will go back to the introduction and fix it.

Trust me, you will do great with your adderall free mind!

I want to press "like" about a hundred times, but my quota for the day is gone as usual!

Thank you so much for the great advice! Yeah, the blank page is really defeating, and thinking about the size of the project. But it really is all about getting moving. And moving far enough along to where the project takes on a momentum of its own.

I did NOT know that having a paper done in advance is the greatest feeling in the world! Mainly because I am the QUEEN of being late and have never yet had that experience! lol! And by that I mean anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months late, and not for lack of effort! So, maybe being adderall-free will help me to get something accomplished faster, because I won't be all hard on myself about it. I don't want to live with looming incompletes anymore.

The idea of getting it done sooner does sound pretty good. I think you're right on about that goal. I'm going to go for it!

I took your advice and I've just been hanging out typing random stuff on my computer. (OK, it's not entirely random lol, but just whatever comes to mind.) You're right it doesn't have to be good right now, just get it moving. Jamming out drinking coffee, took a bunch of Tyrosine and just whatever comes to mind, I'm writing it down, without thinking about it. YEAH!

• Like 1

"the greatest feeling is getting a Paper done in advance". So true, InRecovery. I used to push a deadline for an article right up to the time (not just the date) it was due, especially when writing high on adderall. I just finished an article over a WEEK early and didn't really go back and edit before I submitted it. OK, so it was only a half page long but still.....

What I do is just start typing and I do not allow my eyes to look at the screen, only the keyboard, kinda like the old style hunt and peck writing on a typewriter. go an entire page without looking at the screen, if you can, and see how fast you can type that page. Edits, corrections and fixing the spelling errors can come much later. Cut and paste is a wonderful tool and I use it alot. I actually learned how to overcome blocks from creating posts and responses on this forum.

• Like 2

I want to press "like" about a hundred times, but my quota for the day is gone as usual!

Thank you so much for the great advice! Yeah, the blank page is really defeating, and thinking about the size of the project. But it really is all about getting moving. And moving far enough along to where the project takes on a momentum of its own.

I did NOT know that having a paper done in advance is the greatest feeling in the world! Mainly because I am the QUEEN of being late and have never yet had that experience! lol! And by that I mean anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months late, and not for lack of effort! So, maybe being adderall-free will help me to get something accomplished faster, because I won't be all hard on myself about it. I don't want to live with looming incompletes anymore.

The idea of getting it done sooner does sound pretty good. I think you're right on about that goal. I'm going to go for it!

I took your advice and I've just been hanging out typing random stuff on my computer. (OK, it's not entirely random lol, but just whatever comes to mind.) You're right it doesn't have to be good right now, just get it moving. Jamming out drinking coffee, took a bunch of Tyrosine and just whatever comes to mind, I'm writing it down, without thinking about it. YEAH!

Excellent. Getting words down on paper is now moving in the right direction!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm still working on this paper, lol! its not for lack but because i've got too much going on!

in the meantime here's a list of great tips for fighting writer's block.

These are also pretty much incompatible with taking adderall.

http://scottholdensmith.tumblr.com/bookofscott

Those are some great quotes! Haha. I'm going to save that link. I love the ray Bradbury quote. Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things you are doomed. The first Paper I wrote took forever...but each subsequent paper I got faster and faster with. The last one i crammed out 8 pages in three hours. This is how I get through it.

The most important thing for me is to open up that word document and put a crummy title like paper 1....and just have it there on my laptop. It is annoying for me to have a blank document just sitting there open on my screen.

1. I just sit down and tell myself. I HAVE to do this. I do not have a choice. I'm going to have to do it anyway..whether it is now or tomorrow so i need to just do it.. I dont want this weighing on me, then iit takes a gust of self motivation to get me to sit down and start.

2. Then I write without any focus on the quality of the paper. It makes the whole thing less intimidating,. I'm literally saying to myself this paper is crap and I'm going to get an F...throughout my whole writing time.

3. I focus on how many pages are done and how many to go...I take breaks spending time double spacing...inserting page numbers etc..

4. When I am stuck, I browse the net very very quickly for ideas.

5. i force myself to type super super as fast as I can to lessen the time I have to be there sitting and writing . Then it's over.

i look back and it usually not THAT bad...i need to spend a good session revising, but that is so much less painful..

But the most important thing is ...for the most part ...it is DONE.

• Like 1