QuittingAdderall.com Forums

ADHD Drugs Don't Boost Kid's Grades, Studies find

Jon

Published by the Wall Street Journal today, 7/9/2013, a June study looked at medication usage and educational outcomes of nearly 4,000 students in Quebec over an average of 11 years and found that boys who took ADHD drugs actually performed worse in school than those with a similar number of symptoms who didn't. Girls taking the medicine reported more emotional problems, according to a working paper published on the website of the National Bureau of Economic Reserch, a non-profit economics research firm.

They state that the possibility that medication won't help them in school needs to be acknowledged and closley monitored.

A link to the WSJ article and a video is listed below:  I hope it works.

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-lifestyle-arts-entertainment.html

Sorry folks.  It looks like the link takes you to the current WSJ (Personal Journal) of the day. The jist of the article, I think, is summerized above. I also think that it's something we are all aware of. The pill doesn't make you any smarter at all. The best it can lay claim to is it can make you into a fuel-fed engine providing endurance, as long as you keep feeding it.

• Like 2

there is a deeper and more ingrained problem, however, that you all are not considering:  there is a large proportion of school age children that due to biological (i.e. drug affected) and environmental factors are disruptive and whose behavior impairs the educational experience of other students and the teachers.  I don't know but suspect that these children are the reason ADHD medicaions (primarily amphetamines) are so largely prescribed for children.  Take that away and the larger problem already existing manifests itself. Due to Constitutional issues schools can't just immediately remove children from classrooms anymore. It isn't just whether these drugs are good or bad for the individual.