QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Still one major hurdle to get over

pkr

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted, and I've been doing pretty well.  After 3-4 years of solid use, I'm about a year free of this, thank goodness.  A lot of what I'd lost has come back, relationships, bonding, patience, all senses heightened in a good way.  Mentally, I'm still sluggish, and my memory still suffers for sure, but I do see signs of that improving.

What eludes me still, and shows virtually no signs of reappearing is a general sense of peace and warmth--that's the best way I can describe it.  What I'm referring to is the awww feeling I used to get when the kids would jump in our bed on the weekends.  Or the coziness of a quaint town or restaurant, or baby animals, or touching stories.  After all of the progress, I STILL don't see that coming back.  The weird thing, is that I don't feel a great sense of fear either.  It's like both ends of my emotional spectrum have been lobbed off.  And I'm nervous, because there was a specific incident that caused these feelings to go away and never come back.

I'd been spectacularly worried about one of my kids who'd had a sudden, drastic behavior/energy change after having a bad flu.  It took me two years of maniacal, adderall induced searching to figure out he'd developed food intolerances, and thankfully he is fine now.  Long story longer, one night I was so frantically, hyperventilating(ly :) worried and frustrated that I thought I might die if I  felt like that for another moment.  And then something happened, where suddenly I felt nothing--emotionally numb--and it's stayed for 3+ years (1 year of that clean)!  Some emotional components are coming back, but the general sense of safety/comfort and joy seems to be gone forever, as does a general sense of fear.  I think I did some permanent damage, maybe in a PTSD way, because it's like my mind and body made a decision to only allow me to feel so much.  Some of it is emotional, but it's also physical!  For example, when I go on roller coasters, I'm not even scared. I don't get the stomach dropping feeling.  Things that used to worry me, don't at all anymore.  I can cognitively understand that I should be feeling differently, but it's like a wall went up between my heart and my mind, and they just don't work together anymore.

Does this make any sense?  Has anyone gone through this? 

Wishing you all a safe and productive journey!

PKR

• Like 2

I sorta relate though I don't have as much time as you. Congrats on 1 year. I know when I was using it was like angels sang when I was using excel or filling.  My highes were high, lows low, and crashes even lower. My emotions were so out of whack, i find myself easily bored now. Im not as inspired (can't describe the feeling) when I see a sunrise. Maybe its just part of the recalibration our brains need to do. Or maybe we are just romanticizing the period when adderall was fun  before it was hell.  I refuse to believe we've broken our brains and things will never be the same. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on 1 year!  I understand the lack of emotion as I have been dealing with much of the same feelings.  For me, I didn't realize that I was that way until I started to go off the meds so I don't really know when it started for me.  It takes time to heal that much emotional damage but I think that finding ways to make yourself vulnerable emotionally to those close to you little by little will help you grow back into the person that you want to be.

• Like 2

Hello PKR

Your story has stuck with me over the past several days. I've been thinking a lot about it. On adderall, my highs were high and my lows were LOW. My highs typically came in the morning or early in the day (because I only took adderall in the morning) and were characterized by euphoria, excitement, love, etc. I can relate to the feeling of little ones jumping in bed, a cozy quaint town, a joyful vacation moment.

The feeling of warmth and peace you describe, well I honestly don't think I ever felt that on adderall even in my most euphoric moments because there was always an underlying sharp edge of anxiety riding beneath the highs. And that is something I hold on to - the fact that when I believed I was happy, underneath the surface, I was not at all happy.

Off adderall now for 8 months, and my pendulum swings more toward the middle for sure, but in a good way. I so appreciate the moments of love/warmth knowing there is no sharp cutting edge beneath it, being free of adderall anxiety. But I know what you mean about missing the euphoric feeling of it all.

The roller coaster and lack of physical feeling your described - interesting! It really is like your pendulum is no longer swinging to its extremes even in the physical sense. Maybe a PTSD reaction. I haven't been on a roller coaster since quitting but I'm pretty sure my stomach would still drop :)

• Like 1