QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Retraining for Focus

JustinW

I thought that things were getting back to good but tonight I got blindsided.  I was working on the pool to get things ready for winter, something that shouldn't take a bunch of focus, but I got distracted when I was replacing the filter material and I forgot to switch the valve back to filter.  I didn't catch my mistake until an hour later when I noticed that the water level was low.

So my question for you successful inattentive types is "what have you done to build better coping skills to help you stay on task even when you have minor distractions?"

Maybe preparing a checklist of steps for next time might help.  You can store the list on your phone so it is handy.   The  Tire Store my uncle works at has a policy of not allowing employees to be distracted by (phones, customers)  while changing a tire. I think maybe you need to be in the pool zone when you are doing this leave the phone inside etc. 

What distracted you? I think that's important. If it is something like a phone call etc then ok, it happens to us all. But if you looked up and saw a butterfly and had to chase it to get a better look (cheeky, sorry) then you just need to learn to prioritize better in your mind. And then forgive yourself if you don't get it right 100 percent of the time. Happens to all of us.

My computer and iCloud accounts got hacked 2 days ago. Pain in the ass! Had to go in and cancel all credit cards, change all passwords (there are over 40!?) etc. not fun. Oh, and all on an iPhone because of course with the launch of iOS 7, the Genius Bar is booked solid until Saturday afternoon, so I can't risk turning on my computer.

Anyhow, I've been steadily working at all this stuff for days. And today I hit a wall. It is beautiful outside and I needed a break! So I'm writing this from a little outdoor cafe in the next village over (I'm on Long Island, staying at a friends house), breathing fresh air. Gives me focus to go back and finish!

Anyway my point is, be realistic. You are not going to work as tirelessly as you did on adderall. But I bet you will work smarter! Adderall reduces efficiency so much...

• Like 1

This is such a tough one. Similar things happen to me.  I think it depends on what you're actually doing, but I'm hoping to get some good ideas here too.

The checklist is a good idea, so is being forgiving with yourself because it happens to everyone!

Lately, when there's a lot going on, I try to prioritize.  This works great with to-do lists, but sometimes you just have to do it mentally.  I have to remind myself what to focus on, what's most important, and what to tune out (which in your case probably wouldn't go over so well with your wife! :)    But for example, today someone was talking to me and there were other conversations in the background that were distracting me.  I almost missed an important part of what this person said because I was starting to listen to the other conversation.  I had to consciously remind myself, OK, that's background noise, so tune it out and keep focusing on the person talking to me. 

I don't know, that's a small example. Focusing is TOUGH.