QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Help! :)

kylev1

Hello everyone!

Here is my story.

Roughly 10 years ago I began taking adderall 30mg xr. Since that time it has been an amazing drug. However since that time I have experienced heart palpitations 6 times and had to be cardioverted twice. 6 months ago I set out on a journey to eliminate caffeine from my life. To my surprise I was successful and now eat 5 bananas a day. Next I set out to eat healthier and get back in shape! I have since done this and run a mile everyday plus row and cycle. My next step was to begin taking ice cold showers twice a day which I have been doing for two weeks now. The reason for this is that it increases hormones, immunity, brain activity and muscle recovery. 

As I feel my body getting more and more in shape I have noticed that the Adderall is no longer stimulating my brain. It is having the opposite effect. It is now making me sleepy, lethargic, and I find myself getting upset with situations I normally would not. Plus I have begun to experience panic attacks, heart racing and uncontrollable anxiety. None of this was really present prior and if it was, it was manageable. 

My question is this, with my changes in life style, is it time to hang up this awful drug? Can I do it cold turkey? The side effects are becoming overwhelming and I refuse to quit working out or ending any of the other healthy habits I have started. I would love to hear back from everyone and I love this forum! This is wonderful!

My question is this, with my changes in life style, is it time to hang up this awful drug? Can I do it cold turkey? The side effects are becoming overwhelming and I refuse to quit working out or ending any of the other healthy habits I have started. I would love to hear back from everyone and I love this forum! This is wonderful!

#1 - It sounds like it could be the right decision for you, the typical result of long term use is that the positive effects of the drug go away and you are only left with the negative effects.  Only you can make the decision and it will only work if you are quitting for you.

#2 - You can quit cold turkey or weaning; I have done it both ways.  If you aren't abusing the drug and you have enough restraint weaning may be for you.  If you decide to wean, are you strong enough to keep on track when things get difficult?

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with whatever you choose!

There is a 30 day challenge thread that can help with accountability if you decide to quit.

• Like 1

As I feel my body getting more and more in shape I have noticed that the Adderall is no longer stimulating my brain. It is having the opposite effect. It is now making me sleepy, lethargic, and I find myself getting upset with situations I normally would not. Plus I have begun to experience panic attacks, heart racing and uncontrollable anxiety. None of this was really present prior and if it was, it was manageable. 

What's up Kyle, 

I have been a fitness fanatic before, during, and after quitting adderall. I also experienced every side effect that you described. I'm going to be honest and say that your change in lifestyle has not caused the positive effects of adderall to diminish nor has it caused the negative side effects to increase. It's not clear to me whether you're an addict or not, but because you called adderall an awful drug and continue to take it makes me think that you might be. If that's the case, every addict eventually continues to use the drug despite the fact that it's destroying them from the inside out. So yes, it is definitely time for you to hang up this awful drug! I will give you a really good reason why you should quit adderall. When I quit adderall, my workouts went THROUGH THE ROOF and I am in the best physical shape I have ever been in after nearly 10 months of being adderall free. I am just now starting to totally change my diet and am in the gym 6 times a week. Lately I have fed a deep urge for more knowledge about fitness and lifting by reading different online articles in my free time. This reading has really motivated me to bring my body and performance to a new level. I now have goals of reaching my max genetic potential for muscle with a low 7-8% body fat percentage. I could not have done this on adderall because eventually it just deprived me of any passion what-so-ever, not to mention I could not even eat enough to maintain my weight (I lost about 20 lbs of muscle 3 separate times after taking adderall for months, then quitting, then gaining it back, then starting adderall, then losing all my gains again). Today I love every minute it of my hobby and the passion that I feel for health and fitness. That passion is something that you cannot feel while on adderall. I had no TRUE passion when I was on adderall, only artificial passion. Now my passion for lifting is insane and REAL. I love it. Do YOURSELF a favor and quit :)

Blesbro

• Like 2

Wow, I said it has been nearly 10 months but it actually has been nearly 11 months! I guess I'm at the point where adderall has no place in my life anymore. I wake up without thinking about it, I go through my day without thinking about it, and I go to bed without thinking about it. I don't have any desire to take it nor do I ever get any urges or cravings to go get some. Adderall has taught me a very important lesson. Quick fixes are NOT the way to go. I used adderall originally to solve different internal problems that I had and, in time, it ended up multiplying those problems exponentially. I could have just taken an objective approach to solving my issues slowly but surely, but instead decided to take a drug which I thought was the instant solution to everything in my life at the time.

• Like 3