QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Like father like daughter - Ritalin vs. adderal

Welcome to this site. You've found a group of people who totally understand what you are going through.  I would encourage you to read through the articles on this site  and old forum posts.  Prepare to quit. Keep posting. As for your father if he is not ready to quit you can not help him . He really  needs to get this place on his own.  looking forward to hearing more from you.  

• Like 2

My suggestion would be to stay at your mom's until you can handle being around your dad's pills and dysfunction. Quitting is hard enough, why make it more difficult? Focus on getting better first; then maybe you will be able to have a meaningful dialogue with your dad and help him realize what he needs to change in his life.

• Like 2

It doesn't look like you can quit if there are pills in the medicine cabinet, so you probably need to stay with your mother until you get yourself straightened out.

When it comes to quitting an addiction, it is only we ourselves who can make the commitment. You can set an example for your father and even talk to him, after you are sober for a while, but he is the only one who can decide to quit for himself.

Basically, I am repeating what the previous two posts recomended. Also be sure to read the article "quitting Adderall cold turkey. That goes for Ritalin too. You may want to do some tapering and you may want to pick a day to have a vacation day from Ritalin in advance of your quit. It will give you confidence that you can do this!

Put some time in reading as much as you can on this site, the articles by Mike especially. I would plan your quit around a period of down time rather than a date. You will need a week or more to sleep and watch TV. You won't have the energy to do much else.

Good luck!  We are here when you need us.

• Like 2