QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Dilemma lock box ???

Luckyducky

So my 7 yr old is on adderall. I had the dr try every non stimulant but his behavior was out of control. If it was just at home but school

Became such an issue so I started him on concerta (bad side affects) so

We switched him to adderall and seems to be working and he is doing amazing. My plan is to take him off summer and try homeopathic and others things. I will also make sure he gets a teacher who tolerates/gets him. I hated put him on this and feel guilty . He is also in therapy teaching him positive behavior and to control his impulsiveness. He was in the office all the time and he started hating himself. He now loves himself and is thriving in school. No more parent complaints. Anyways it's my biggest trigger ever. I have fallen off 30 day clean twice getting his scripts. His dr knows am an addict. I have to give it to him 60 mins before school starts. I tried giving

It to the teen but that did not go so well. There are these pill lock boxes that dispense once a day. They are very $$$$ any thoughts on this. Any

Other ideas???i work at his school and can't give it to school.:(...help help

• Like 1

Hey Lucky... I have sooo many things I want to hear about what's go on with you and will probably sent you a pm so we can caught up. But i will try and stay on topic for this post. NOT that I have ANY answers that I am sure you have not already thought of. So obviously it is NOT an option for your husband to help with his medication either. I hate that it didn't work out with your teenage son. I remember a while back when you were hoping that would possible be a option.

So the school as a policy that they CAN NOT distribute ANY medication even with the parents consent? I am sure it is not only different according to what state you live in but I am sure it is also different by different school policies.

I know when my son was younger he did not like "swallowing" a pill. And would be sooooo DRAMATIC in the morning before taking him to school. I would just take his medication and let them give him his morning dose and of course he would need to take another dose after lunch so they would also give him his medication there. And he did not THROW a fit at school like he would at home. And of course he has NEVER taken it on the weekends, summer or any breaks when he wasn't in school.

And now that he is college he still does not take takes less that half of what he script is written and told me recently - even now he is a pre-med student in college. He even makes sure he takes breaks during the week as well. He has said he has done extensive reading about adderall... etc. And was explaining it to me in a way that was way over my head as far as how it really works with someone that does have ADD. But he knows and is vigilant about not letting a tolerance build but and unfortunately he has seen the what adderall ABUSE can do first hand.

Sorry lost where I was going but my point being so if you work at the same school. And that was my understanding and I COULD be wrong. So again could you clarify if it is a school policy NOT to distribute medication. EVEN though as you have mentioned before his teachers prefer him to be on it during school and are also able to see the POSITIVE effect it is having on his grades, school work, but I am sure they are able to see how it a improving his self confidence, etc.

I realized you said he needs to take 60 mins before he goes to school, but if you work at that same school I would assume you would need to be there before students arrive and let's say they CAN distribute medication and he has to take RIGHT when he gets there. And it might take "a little while" before it starts to work but at least he is able to have most of his school day with it instead of not ANY.

Or I believe one time you mentioned you had a good friend of yours that also worked at the school as well and knew about your desire to quit taking adderall maybe you could get her if she is at the school to give it to your son for you. And if she is a good friend that has been very supportive and wants to help you. Maybe she would be willing to even pick it up from the pharmacy for you so that way you would NOT even have to see it. Because I know "seeing" a full bottle of those peach colored pills would/will can start me my mind wanting and trying to justify well you know. So my son and my husband both realized that was NOT FAIR and could see how that created temptation so now my husband picks up my sons medication and sends it to him at school. Even though some days I feel strong enough and it doesn't bother me and I would never take "his medication" but it can start cravings just to SEE A FULL BOTTLE.

Anyway not sure if any of that makes sense, as you know from our PM I tend to ramble and can sometimes be hard to follow. I am still VERY MUCH ADHD! But I have decided that's OK! :)

• Like 3

Robin

I love all your ideas! They do administer meds to kids but because I work there they would be irritated that I just don't do it myself. But I like the idea of getting to school earlier and letting my kids hang out with me and giving it to them there. I will get it from my friend at school and give it to him. I guess I just love my sleep and didn't think about going in earlier. I will also have her pick up the meds for me. The reason my son didn't work out is because he didn't hide them well. When I went into his room to get dirty towels for laundry they were right there. I just can't see them in a bottle. Giving my son one a day was not triggering...but a bottle!! I also do not give my son on weekends unless he has a birthday party to go to at a home or a place that he might be to wild and accidentally hurt another kid. It's funny you said that about your son reading a lot about adderall. I have also been looking into kids taking stimulants. Although I am not against I do feel that it is over used with treating kids with adhd. My son has been on it for about 6 mths and he has been perfect. Best behaved child ever in school but I noticed he was to perfect (zombie) like and he looked really skinny. So last week I took him back to dr and had him weighed and list weight. So we dropped his dosage and he looked better, ate and even laughed. But his teacher said it's not working and I said why she said that he is talking in class. I asked is he pushing kids, blurting answers, getting out of his seat like before she said no he's just talking. I was so irritated even though I love his teacher but give me break. So I will get through the year and when he gets his new teacher he will be on the lower dose and we will work on his behavior (talking to much) ...so frustrated.

• Like 3

Lucky I was EXTREMELY blessed when my son NOW a freshman in college as a pre-med major. He also graduated high school with High Honors and scored extremely well on his ACT.

(I have am "BRAGGING" to make a point- I promise. Lol)

But he was diagnosed or noticed that he might needed to be tested in the 3rd grade. His was more "distractibility" like watching what was going on out the window, taking test he would skip around say like answer question 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc but would just skip/overlook other questions/math problems not because he didn't know he just was all over the place.

Anyway.... at that times he was attending a small private school and the principal was WONDERFUL!!! She happen to notice herself the things my son was doing- because she to had a now grown son that had been diagnosed with ADD in elementary school as well. And she DRILLED IN TO ME HIS "RIGHTS" as a child with diagnosed with ADHD/ADD that, my son, had a RIGHT for accommodations. You probably are aware of this but I REALLY THINK and I will look and refresh my memory what schools are legally obligated to do for your son. And it REALLY SOUNDS THEY ARE NOT MAKING AVAILABLE RESOURCES THAT ARE suppose to be in place for students.

Seriously I can not tell you how many times she reminded me of my sons rights and for me to advocate for him when I needed to. I even remember her telling me that EVEN when he went to took the ACT/SAT for college, like extended time, a classroom with only a few people so fewer distractions etc...which at the time I thought that was FOREVER away. But it happened very quickly anyway....

My son now in retrospect he says - now that he is older and looking back to when he was in the 3rd grade had his principal and teacher had not noticed it and he would have "slipped though the cracks". He said without a doubt he would NOT have been able to graduate with honors and hopes of being a doctor would have been impossible. He said he would have started making bad grades, he said which would have made feel like something was wrong with him causing him to confidence and and not believe in himself.

ok that was long but I really think you and I am going to as well to see what his rights are.

• Like 1