QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Seizures

tinybuddha

I have been having seizures some being grand-mal. Has anyone else experienced this? I used to take way higher doses. I slipped up for a few weeks studying for boards, but not nearly at the same high dose(i know still bad)They can not figure out what is going on. They have pulled my driver's liscense temporaly because is law after documented seizure. Normally, I in past refused to go to hospital, because I was worried that might happen. I had to go to ER though couple weeks ago. I have medical background, but not much at all in neuro. I know seizure can be side effect, but just seems weird happening now not couple years ago when really taking high doses sometimes 300mg IR in a day. Also, I don't no anybody else that had this issue with addy, but maybe like me just don't talk about. If anybody knows about this please share. Thanks

I think having adderall in the mix makes diagnosing anything difficult. Even after quitting, the body goes through so many changes. It really clouds so many issues.

I hope you stop having them. I hope you stop taking adderall.

• Like 1

Having a grand-mal seizure is a very serious issue.  I was really sorry to read your post.  I hope you can make this your number one priority - by preventing future seizures( with medication?) and protecting yourself while seizing using tongue guards, etc.  Did any of your doctors think it could be caused by prolonged Adderall abuse?  Were you honest with the doctors about your high dosages and lengths of time you have used....and not used.... Adderall? 

• Like 1

I have been having seizures some being grand-mal. Has anyone else experienced this? I used to take way higher doses. I slipped up for a few weeks studying for boards, but not nearly at the same high dose(i know still bad)They can not figure out what is going on. They have pulled my driver's liscense temporaly because is law after documented seizure. Normally, I in past refused to go to hospital, because I was worried that might happen. I had to go to ER though couple weeks ago. I have medical background, but not much at all in neuro. I know seizure can be side effect, but just seems weird happening now not couple years ago when really taking high doses sometimes 300mg IR in a day. Also, I don't no anybody else that had this issue with addy, but maybe like me just don't talk about. If anybody knows about this please share. Thanks

Hey there friend. I've also experienced seizures on high doses of Addy, though they only seem to come after having been awake for 24-36+ hours, so I'm sure the sleep deprivation plays a large role in it as well.

Are you planning on quitting? Really step back an evaluate where your life is at right now. Is the amphetamine really worth all these terrible side effects?

Thanks so much for sharing. I knew it can be a side effect, but had never actually heard anyone else personally experience it even on this forum when at certain times I would be on here daily. I actually just started this year with the seizures and had been off for awhile then gone back because my test is less than a month away, but on a much lower dose. I used to take crazy high amounts of it and not be able to even get out of bed without it a couple of years back, but never had a seizure during that time. I think it was just some weird fear that made me think I needed to use it again just "this last time" to study for the boards. It is that weird ridiculous adderall mind-set that kicks in some times. Being addicted for so long really messed with my head it is like a mental block that creeps in and tells me I won't be able to study without it and I freak myself out. I have gone back off it and since have not had another seizure. All of my other tests came back negative, thus I believe had to be some how related to going back on the adderall. I can not be sure, but I strongly feel was related. My primary care doctor actually told me he had an 'issue' with adderall which was surprising because most medical professionals I find to be either very judgmental or not take adderall addiction seriously. I do have a more friendly relationship with him than usual and was surprised as he used be a big supporter of the benefits of it. He recommended a supplement ZenRx and it has been very beneficial for me except giving me some GERD. When I used adderall in the past my GERD was to the point that I had esophageal erosions, but I convinced myself was not the stimulates. It was most definitely related and in hindsight seems obvious, but denial can be very strong. Hopefully, the medical community is starting to realize that this drug is dangerous and effects multiple health issues. I still get anxiety about studying and taking the test without the adderall which I know sounds ridiculous after what it did to me in the past. I am back to taking life one day at a time. Having quit and gone back it really showed me that so much of my issues both health and personal came from my addiction. It is scary how quickly can slip back into it without realizing what is happening. The social anxiety was back full force though already does seem to be improving again(staying in and attempting to study not exactly condusive to helping this issue either) There are times now I actually need xanax to combat this problem. It sucks I stupidly messed with my brain and cognitive function so close to the test. I am disgusted with myself, but I realize all I can is just move forward and not dwell on it. The withdrawl is no where close to the pure hell it was before when I was abusing and then quit. Though I am super emotional off it again the opposite of the way I am on it.  It is just so crazy that I still have these days where I freak out and feel I need it or will fail and then end up regretting it all over again. I know at this point it is mainly a mental battle. Studying off adderall just feels so strange and unnatural to me in a way that I can't explain. I have no choice so I am doing it and can just hope that I will do ok without it.  I am terrified I have ruined my life and not going to be able to fix it and then go for the very thing that caused the problem to try to solve the problem. It is so counter productive and dumb. Please forgive the grammar and run on sentences I am writing this using my mobile phone on the train.

Tinybuddha. You HAVE to get off adderall permanently. You have been part of this community even before I was here. you have seen us go through the same psychological agony you are going through and we are all fine now, You know that your life will be so much better without it. You should not be having to deal with this still. Do not let yourself go back to adderall ever again. You know u have hit the law of diminishing returns with it years ago. u know, the costs far outweigh any kind of benefit u may feel u get from it. You know u have to start putting loads of clean time under your belt in order to overcome. You have to overcome this completely now. Please promise us u will not go back to it again. Promise us you will be strong. I know you are strong enough to do this. I KNOW you can say goodbye to it forever and not look back.

• Like 2