QuittingAdderall.com Forums

ADDERALLICS ANONYMOUS--NYC

hummerbird, I like your letter and this topic. I wholeheartedly agree that adderall recovery is unique unto itself. I was in AA for a year before becoming addicted to adderall. While I can say that I have been sober from alcohol for nearly 14 years, it is tainted by 12 years of adderall use. As one person put it, so you went from one to the other. It is painfully true.

As you know, AA has members who are bipolar and members who suffer other mental issues, so psychiatric drugs have to be accepted at some level. But, that's where I got into trouble, as you describe in your letter. I agree with you that stimulant use is where to draw the line, but there are many who would disagree (see the discalimer on this site). I don't know how you will ever get around this argument. At the same time, I would love to join SA if it were ever offered in my area. Neither AA nor NA offers the identification that makes you feel at home. I believe that having a home group is a vital part of recovery. It rang so true for me in my recovery from alcohol. I guess that's why we come here. The in-person community experience would have so much more power, even a Higher Power.

With two years freedom from stimulants, I hope you stick around here to share your experience, strength and hope.

• Like 2

GIven AA and its principles are only 80 years old. The ideas principles of the 12 step program are relatively new ideas in the world. I wonder what addicts did before?  The larger concept of recovery is evolving and becoming more sophisticated.  This evolution is a necessary because drugs are evolving. Amphetamines were only discovered in the late 1880's. Making our addiction a new one.  Groups like ours embrace  2 technology paradigms  internet technology and advancements in psychoactive drugs.   The basic tenants of a 12 step program are applied here but dare I say those principals evolved with the exponential technology of our times.  What we do here at QA works. Can it be improved upon ?   

• Like 2