QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Is stopping the adderall saving your brain?

Greg

i think when we take adderall our brain forgets how to produce dopamine on its own. Dopamine is an important part of our cognitive process. If we become less able to produce dopamine naturally we are harming our brains. I think quitting adderall is saving your brain. Sure your dopamine receptors will be shot at first but ultimately you are saving your brain.

You are correct. I have read article on brain damage from adderall. Excuse the lack of citation. But supposedly especially taking more than your prescribed causes substantial brain damage. Like if you took a double dose to get euphoric. I think rhesus monkeys were involved so you know it was legate! But sadly I think your completely right about your brains ability to naturally produce it being diminished:(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm more concerned about what 11 years on/off adderall may have done to my heart.  i guess it jsut seems like the brain is a more fungible/adaptable organ than the heart, so to speak.  I don't mean that in terms of brain transplant v heart transplant.  I mean, different parts of the brain will compensate for damaged parts of the brain so that a person can continue to function.  with the heart--not so much.  once the heart gets a little wonky, eventually the whole thing goes.