QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Extreme Bloating? Made it one week!

eckoangel

Hi All!

I quit a week ago today, yay!  I've been on it since I was 15 and I took it for 15 years total so this is a huge adjustment. It's been a rough week but I'm feeling good with my decision and it needed to happen. However, I am suffering from extreme bloating and constipation. I look 3-4 months pregnant because I'm so bloated.  Did anyone else have this?  How long did it last? Any suggestions or things i can do/take to help? 

Thanks a lot! :)

• Like 1

Hey, congrats on a week, that is huge! I know this struggle all too well, it happened pretty much every month when I ran out of my prescription a few weeks early 🙈. Your body should regulate itself pretty quickly, and you should have some relief soon. I think the standard recommendations would be fiber and probiotics. Do you drink coffee? Caffeine always helped me a lot too, probably because it's another stimulant I suppose. Anyways, best of luck! 😊

Hey, congrats on a week, that is huge! I know this struggle all too well, it happened pretty much every month when I ran out of my prescription a few weeks early . Your body should regulate itself pretty quickly, and you should have some relief soon. I think the standard recommendations would be fiber and probiotics. Do you drink coffee? Caffeine always helped me a lot too, probably because it's another stimulant I suppose. Anyways, best of luck!

Thanks Nicole! I do drink coffee(I've really uped my coffee consumption this week because of quitting Adderall). And I have been taking probiotics and eating yogurt. Hopefully, my body will regulate.

Did you find any diet changes helped? I'm thinking about trying no bread or low carbs until the bloating goes down. It's embarrassing to be so bloated but I'm happy it's winter time. I've worn lots of sweaters this week lol

Congrats on making it thru your first week! Don't get discouraged when you hit rough patches, at which you definitely will. As of a few days ago... I've been addy free for a year! Talk about a freaking roller coaster but completely doable and well worth the effort to be free from this.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Congrats on making it thru your first week! Don't get discouraged when you hit rough patches, at which you definitely will. As of a few days ago... I've been addy free for a year! Talk about a freaking roller coaster but completely doable and well worth the effort to be free from this.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on your 1 year! That's awesome :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Nicole! I do drink coffee(I've really uped my coffee consumption this week because of quitting Adderall). And I have been taking probiotics and eating yogurt. Hopefully, my body will regulate.

Did you find any diet changes helped? I'm thinking about trying no bread or low carbs until the bloating goes down. It's embarrassing to be so bloated but I'm happy it's winter time. I've worn lots of sweaters this week lol

I started a super clean diet around the 2 month mark. Pretty much fruits, veggies, and lean meats and was exercising regularly. I think it helped tremendously but only lasted about 6 weeks. The last month I'm just so hungry and fatigued. Also been consuming way too much caffeine lol. There's probably a correlation but can't seem to shake it. I also quit smoking in the last month, so that may also have some cause and effect for me. I'm trying to be kind to myself but nothing fits these days! So frustrating . I should invest in more sweaters lol

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I am experiencing the same bloating effect.  after I drink fluids or eat, my stomach bloats out immediately and I look and feel pregnant.  I have increased swelling in my legs as well.  This has been since I discontinued the medication 5 weeks ago.  And I have been eating pretty clean too, mostly smoothies, fruit, veggies, and fish.  I feel like the medication may have depleted some natural elements in my gut lining or organs.  Did your bloating situation improve?  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes I had the bloating and insane appetite- I try to eat really healthy- makes my brain feel better, it did gradually go away- been weaning for almost a year so not sure how long it lasted. And it messed me up stomach wise big time - two different doctors said it was side effect from going off after every possible test was done. 

On 11/26/2016 at 10:44 PM, eckoangel said:

Hi All!

I quit a week ago today, yay!  I've been on it since I was 15 and I took it for 15 years total so this is a huge adjustment. It's been a rough week but I'm feeling good with my decision and it needed to happen. However, I am suffering from extreme bloating and constipation. I look 3-4 months pregnant because I'm so bloated.  Did anyone else have this?  How long did it last? Any suggestions or things i can do/take to help? 

Thanks a lot! :)

This is normal and it will take a while for your body to adjust. for constipation, buy "Calm Magnesium Citrate" powder, take double the serving size, and you will go number 2. you can use that once or twice a week to help with constipation. get a good fiber supplement, and make sure to drink lots of water. Adderall messed my microbiome up (not sure how, but it did) and it has taking a while to get normal. The water weight will subside. Ultimately, you may gain a lot of weight, a little weight or no weight, it all depends on your habits and behavior. I gained a solid 20 lbs, but I'm not made about it.