QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Could my husbands personality changes be caused by this medication

FOF4ever

Hi Everyone  I am wondering if there is anyway I can ask your opinion on a terrible situation I am in with my husband.  I am unsure if it could be the fact he was taking dextroamphetamine 30mg a day up until 4 days ago. Before that he was on adderall for several months but for some reason his doctor switched it to dextroamphetamine which I believe has very similar effects as adderall. I have been with my husband for 10 years in a happy marriage with few problems. Over the last 3 weeks he has become a completely different person. He has accused me of crazy things and basically decided that he hates me and literally packed up and left. Now over these past few weeks he has seemed paranoid, spoken to me aggressively and just been flat out mean. He believes things that are far from the truth but literally cannot convince him otherwise! He goes on aggressive rants to the point I don’t even know him at all.  I started to believe these personality changes could be due to the dextroamphetamine. He would not even begin to hear me out about it though so I have been doing my own research. I found that these type of stimulates have ruined marriages. I didn’t know what else to do so I took his medication. That’s how he has been off of it for 4 days but my question is. There is no return of his old self. He is still completely different! Is there anyway that it could be this medication? And if so wouldn’t he be better now with 4 days without it ? Please help any advice I would be so grateful for. I just want my husband back. Thank you.

• Like 1

It’s possible it’s due to the medication. It doesn’t sound like he has been on that long. However, if he’s been on medication for 1 + 

it can take months to a yr to see improvement. Four days won’t likely get him back to pre medication stage. Unless, he just started it. Is it possible he’s combining the medication with testosterone or anything? Also, if he’s dependent on meds he will be more agitated wanting them back. 

Fof4ever, so sorry for what you're going through. Honestly, I wouldn't guess that this type of behavior is due to his rx. Anything is possible, but I'd look at other culprits. Could he be doing other drugs? An illicit relationship? 

If he had started stims for the first time, I'd say it's more likely. But considering that 1) he was already on stims for many months (adderall) AND 2) he has been off of the stims for four days without any change, I would say look for other causes. The most radical effects that stimulants have stop within two days and he should be going through withdrawal, lethargy, sleeping. You should see a very radical shift in him fairly quickly, even if not for the better. This sounds like a very ambiguous situation and given that so many factors can be involved, it's hard to say anything from where I'm sitting.

Definitely possible. I was very paranoid and unsure of my partner when I was taking adderall, but I was taking ALOT over a long period of time. I could never seem to get to a place where I fully trusted him. I wasn't so much aggressive, but men may react differently.

• Like 1