QuittingAdderall.com Forums

TIPS FOR ADDERALL RECOVERY

LILTEX41

I use food & hunger as motivators.

I have cut out the snacks and eat only balanced, moderate-sized meals - either two or three meals per day at least four hours apart. No food or drink containing any flour or sugar or alcohol. This helps diminish the food cravings when bored, or even when I am busy. It also keeps the weight gain under control.

When I begin a project, be it cleaning, decluttering, repairing, writing, or shoveling show, I say "what do I want this to look like when I am done with this session?" As I work through it, I might start getting food cravings or finding other distractions. If I do get hungry, I just drink water or slam a (sugarfree)red bull or 5hourenergy. I use the next meal as motivation to complete what I was doing and get to either a break point or project completion. In other words, I can't have my food until the task is done.

• Like 4

I don't have organization issues (nor do I really have ADD) but I totally relate to your #2, trying to figure out what to do with your life. After I quit Adderall I became obsessed with this quest to find my 'purpose' or whatever and I did/do the same thing as you: research something to death, get obsessed and then move on.

When I was about 6 months sober, I got this idea that I should have been a doctor (even though I never had any interest in being one before) and I spent weeks researching medical schools, prerequisites, and reading through these student doctor message boards. Then about a month later I realized that this kind of untertaking would be ridiculous for someone in her 30s that is still paying of student loans from her last degree. I don't want to be in debt for the next 10 years. WTF was I thinking? And just like that, the obsession with that career path was gone.

I did this multiple other times too, with different careers. See, the main reason I took Adderall was because I didn't know what to do with my life, so the drug made me feel great about whatever I was doing. After I quit I was right back where I started, in that place of confusion. But, I think it's kind of like trying to find a boyfriend. The more you're actively looking for love, the more it eludes you. I met my husband when I was not at all looking for a relationship, and same with all my other long term boyfriends. I think maybe this self discovery stuff is the same way. If you're thinking about it so hard all the time and researching and making lists and spreadsheets and doing all this STUFF, you're not open to receiving. And you need to be receptive to the messages from your subconscious intelligence. Your conscious brain is but a tiny part of your operating system.

Lately I've been doing this practice at a yoga studio called Yoga Nidra (you can download podcasts on itunes). It's a guided metitation class that puts you into a state self hypnosis and relaxes your brain waves. I've been doing stuff like this to calm my naturally overactive mind and make it more receptive. I read this article in Psychology Today about how too much data disables your decision making. http://www.psycholog...decision-making. That's totally me, so in my recovery I'm trying to get more in touch with myself and not obsess over external sources. I'm trying to trust my inner wisdom, LIVE LIFE, and listen for the messages.

• Like 3

LILTEXT, this is a great idea. Well done! You're absolutely right with the organization piece, and having small daily goals that you can feel happy/proud about accomplishing every day.

There is actually a lot of literature out there about goal setting and what makes the goal setting process successful vs not. The trick is to think long term but act today, just like you did with your Ironman *congrats, by the way*!

Here's a few on my list:

• The "10 min tidy up". As part of the getting-ready-for-bed ritual, do a sweep of the living room and kitchen , whatever you can do in 10 mins. It's quite astounding what you can get done in 10 mins if you put a limit on it.
  • One goal at a time.
  • Focus on what you're good at, not what you're bad at
  • Get moving. (I sometimes put all my laundry that needs folding on the couch before I go to bed so when I wake up, I have to fold it before I am tempted to lazily migrate from bed to couch)
  • One day a week, make your only goal to "lose time" in something you love

And this site, which is just awesome: http://www.dumblittleman.com

(Also you can subscribe to the daily emails which are pretty great at motivation).

Again, great idea!

• Like 2

Lately I've been doing this practice at a yoga studio called Yoga Nidra (you can download podcasts on itunes). It's a guided metitation class that puts you into a state self hypnosis and relaxes your brain waves. I've been doing stuff like this to calm my naturally overactive mind and make it more receptive. I read this article in Psychology Today about how too much data disables your decision making. http://www.psycholog...decision-making. That's totally me, so in my recovery I'm trying to get more in touch with myself and not obsess over external sources. I'm trying to trust my inner wisdom, LIVE LIFE, and listen for the messages.

Yoga Nidra looks great - thanks!

Wow everyone! This list is awesome! Love all your ideas!

Krax, I'm downloading that app now ;)

Quit Once- Love that you use food and hunger as motivation. Great idea! And the visualization piece with the chore/task an outstanding concept as well. I am going to start using these tools.

Cassie - wow, we have so much in common. I remember we discussed our relationships awhile back...so now we are the same age, sober, and trying to figure out what to do with our lives. Maybe we are related or something, lol. LOVE what you said about being receptive to new messages...and God, I know what you mean by the more you chase after something, the more it eludes you. My problem is that I am extremely impatient. I go about 90 mph when I have a new idea and I won't stop until I have an answer, but like you said, that is most likely a big part of the problem. I'm definetely going to read that article you posted as soon as I get done responding. Thank you!

Motivation - Wow, even more great tips! Love the 10 min tidy up and laundry idea! I need to do that like now, lol. And I am def going to check out the website you mentioned.

Again, thank you everyone! I was shocked by all the responses I got back on this just now and so excited to have so many new ideas. Maybe I should focus on doing 1 of them at a time. ;)

I say keep em' coming. Thanks again! :)

Regarding organizing by making daily lists I totally agree, and have been using an app called Toodledo on my iPhone and PC at the office, it's like using excell but its already set up for that purpose.

Also remember the milk is a good app. But I personally use note. I have really incorporated that into my life. I also used it to make my 10 page list of reasons why I hate adderall.

I'll tex, its great to hear from you. And awesome post. Everyone, coincidentally Lil tex and I quit on the same exact date! emot-eek.gif Or maybe one day off from each other?? Still going strong.

• Like 1

I LOVE THIS! Definitely agree with you on the to-do lists. I use big giant post-it notes, I do better with handwritten lists, but whatever works. It's pretty awesome to check things off. I used to do very well with unstructured time when I was on adderall, I was in this illusory divine trance where I was so focused, any interruption was unwelcome because all I wanted was to stay in that trance. Nothing on the to-do lists would actually get done, especially not "mundane" stuff like bills, cleaning, or being in touch with people I love. Now, I need that structure. I need those to-do lists more than ever. I hate schedules and counting but I have to start scheduling myself. Scheduling time slots each day for certain activities and forcing myself to do them, without even thinking about it.

Another tip: Make it Crappy! Really, really crappy!

We adderallics naturally tend to strive for perfection, on or off the drug. On it is even worse. Coming off it, we still have those high standards, and its even harder to be unable to live up to them. The thing is that we are better than we realize. We are already high quality. Our standards are way too high. We need to do a better job of being imperfect. If we strive too much for perfection then NOTHING gets done! So......make it, and make it crappy! Really, really crappy!

There is a story behind this one.... Last semester I was finishing up a term paper, on adderall, and struggling with it because I was holding myself to too high of a standard. I guess this was a good transitional project because I had a deadline but my perfectionism was giving me major writer's block. I had to fire my inner editor to let the words flow. But I was still struggling.. Too many ideas.

The deadline arrived. My friends handed their papers in. I was super envious and I was still killing myself over this paper. The next day, my professor got on my case about it. In a friendly way. He said that sometimes its better to hand in something imperfect, and meet a deadline (or at least not go weeks beyond it) than to make something 100% perfect. And, he said he really needed my paper within 3 hours. He was basically asking me to drop my standards already so he could get it graded and go home. When I got this email, I was in the library (which was empty since everyone had already left for break) and I started crying. I was all addied up and getting myself into way too much, and when I saw the email I had an emotional breakdown because I knew I couldn't get it done within 3 hours. I left the library in tears-- tears of stress, tears of feeling like a failure.

I chatted wtih my friend about this. She said, "you already have it all written in your head, right? Just throw something together and send it in!" We agreed that I should just make it crappy. Make it really, really crappy. And hand it in. And I did. I was up all night, I had adderall in my system but it wore off and I focused on making this paper really really crappy. As crappy as possible. I dropped my own standards and got it done--not within 3 hours, but within 18, which is pretty good. I was really scared handing it in though, because it was a monster cariciture of my grandiose vision. I was terrified to check my grade.

Super nice professor wrote back and said that it was imperfect (I had warned him), but that I had done a very good job. He gave me an A. Said my lateness seemed to be not from bad work habits, but from not knowing when to stop. I think that's right on. I didn't know when to stop (and still don't as you might have gathered!!)

People who aren't on adderall, or who don't already have those tendencies, just want to get something done; they don't obsess about grandiose visions or making things perfect. This leads to imperfection. But imperfection is OK, imperfection is beautiful, inevitable, human. And imperfection is at least a JOB DONE.

So, my new strategy is to make it crappy..... make it really, really crappy!!! As crappy as possible!! Because what I see as crappy, someone else will see as high quality.

• Like 2