QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Environmental consequences of adderall?

BeHereNow

This is something I used to avoid thinking about. At all costs.

Does anyone have knowledge of the environmental consequences of adderall? What the hell is it even made of?

Thinking about ALL the consequences of an addiction helps me combat addiction. When I quit smoking cigarettes, it really helped to focus on the environmental consequences of smoking: all the non-biodegradable butts, all the smoke in the air, and the animal testing they still apparently do (or did.) This helps put things into perspective because our addictions affect the whole world, not just us.

Quitting adderall HAS to be better for the environment.

I did a google search for "environmental consequences of adderall" and all I got was a bunch of articles about abuse/addiction. I'd love to know more about the environmental consequences of adderall to fuel my recovery with more reasons for quitting.

I know that prozac, birth control, and well all the drugs we take are winding up in our watersheds at low levels. The frogs and fish are being exposed to all the drugs we are taking and are starting to show hormonal imbalances and birth defects and such. I'm sure there must be adderall in the watersheds too, and ritalin etc. Little fishies on speed......

This happens in part because many drugs are excreted from urine (adderall is one of them.) Little known fact, this also happens when people flush drugs down the toilet (though for anyone here who needs to flush them, I do fully support that, although I think it's ideal to find another method of disposal. Apparently you're supposed to return them to the pharmacy for disposal. But in the moment when you need to flush them, going back to the pharmacy is extra time to change your mind.)

I'm curious to learn more about the environmental consequences of this powerful drug. If it affects US so much, it must affect the environment pretty dramatically too.

google the environmental impact or consequences of methamphetamine and you will get pages and pages of reading to sort through. adderall is made from the same shit, except it is pharmaceutical grade battery acid and drano. i agree that flushing pills is a bad way to dispose of em, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Like 1

Adderall isn't made from the same shit as street meth. It's safely manufactured in a clean laboratory, probably the same facility that manufactures aspirin and other pills. Multiple medications are manufactured in the same facilities. I would say the environmental effects are similar to antidepressants as far as the potential to end up in the water supply. But, I'm sure antidepressants and other meds end up in the water supply much more than amphetamines since they have no street value and are more prevalent. If anything, amphetamines might have a positive environmental impact because of the strong appetite suppressant/weight loss effect. People who are thinner and consume less food have a lower carbon footprint. Sorry to burst your bubble, I just don't think cigarettes and amphetamine pills are comparable in the environmental cost department.

I wasn't comparing cigarettes with adderall; I just want to be informed. Because being informed helped me quit smoking.

Also, considering how many adderall users drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes--other forms of consumption even if they aren't food--I don't know if we can quite say that it has a positive effect on the environment in terms of peoples' consumption habits.........interesting to think about though.......