QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Running Club

Greg

Check in Sunday! Did u Guys make it to 12????

I did a 16 mile run on Saturday lol. These things are getting easier. I run them super slow and I stop for a few minutes after every 4 miles. So it's really not that bad. If I was running these miles fast there is no way I could do it. Also I only need to commit one day to making the goal instead of three or four which makes the goal easier to reach.

You guys should really try it...

• Like 1

Morning runs are awesome!! Such a great way to start the day. Also, doing low intensity cardio on an empty stomach scorches body fat.

I have heard that too because it forces your body to burn fat instead of the food in your stomach.

But I find if I don't eat before I run I can't sustain longer runs. So I always eat before. But just running in general scorches body fat and the more intense the more scorching.

I have heard that too because it forces your body to burn fat instead of the food in your stomach.

But I find if I don't eat before I run I can't sustain longer runs. So I always eat before. But just running in general scorches body fat and the more intense the more scorching. 

Yes exactly. Your muscles should have glycogen stores from the night before which are used as energy. But once those are used up, it's on to either the muscle or fat for energy depending on the intensity. I would only really recommend extremely slow jogging or walking on an empty stomach to prevent muscle breakdown anyway. For everyone still mentally recovering, the health benefits of getting an intense run far out-weigh the benefits of doing a shorter, less intense run in order to burn more bodyfat if that makes sense. So there's nothing wrong with eating before. Anyways, keep it up!  I don't mean to say you're wrong, because I get what you're trying to say, but running with food in your stomach actually burns calories not fat. Fat is burned when you burn more calories than you consume in a given day. Running helps you to burn more calories over the entire day and thus if you run more and eat the same amount, you will start to lose fat. Losing fat is all about the caloric deficit. The reason I say this is because I know a lot of people such as my mom who have been trying to lose weight and I've had to explain that running doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose fat if your run causes you eat way more during the day. Sorry, I'm a health nut and get kind of technical.

• Like 1

By the way,

Congratulations on three years! That's insane! Thanks for sticking around the forums you truly are amazing IR.

Thanks I appreciate that.

I totally agree with what you were saying about running should not lead to eating more if you want to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight but I forced myself not to increase my calories much and now I'm at a waist size 32 . After I quit adderall I gained a TON of weight but now I've lost all the weight I gained after quitting adderall (which was at least 30 lbs) and much more on top of that. in general I still eat more (just a little more) because of the running but because my metabolism is higher now from the running club I don't gain weight or anything from it.

• Like 1

Well, I just got home from the gym. I got 7.5 in this week....meh. Good job, InRecovery! I'm so impressed with you every week. Maybe I should give long runs a shot because obviously I've not been making my goal. It seems like so much! Do you do these long runs outside or on the treadmill?

Well, I just got home from the gym. I got 7.5 in this week....meh. Good job, InRecovery! I'm so impressed with you every week. Maybe I should give long runs a shot because obviously I've not been making my goal. It seems like so much! Do you do these long runs outside or on the treadmill?

I definitely do them on treadmill. I could never do it outside because like u running outside is so much harder for me. But honestly, doing the long runs has made getting to the goal easier. You only run one day a week so it feels like less of a time commitment. And if you choose to run more than one day beyond that it's just icing on the cake.

• Like 2

Thanks I appreciate that.

I totally agree with what you were saying about running should not lead to eating more if you want to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight but I forced myself not to increase my calories much and now I'm at a waist size 32 . After I quit adderall I gained a TON of weight but now I've lost all the weight I gained after quitting adderall (which was at least 30 lbs) and much more on top of that. in general I still eat more (just a little more) because of the running but because my metabolism is higher now from the running club I don't gain weight or anything from it.

Congrats! 32 is a great waist size. Do you enjoy running now that you've gotten used to it? 

Congrats! 32 is a great waist size. Do you enjoy running now that you've gotten used to it?

Yeah I enjoy running way more now than before when I didn't have as much endurance and could barely manage to tuna mile. It's kind of like an escape for me. But it's also more like a habit because of this club I feel like I HAVE to do it. You should join are club!

• Like 1

Yeah I enjoy running way more now than before when I didn't have as much endurance and could barely manage to tuna mile. It's kind of like an escape for me. But it's also more like a habit because of this club I feel like I HAVE to do it. You should join are club!

I can totally relate. Lifting is absolutely an escape for me. When I go to the gym, it's just me, my music, and the weights. Any stresses or issues in my life just dissipate the second I walk in the door. I would love to join the club but unfortunately I have different training goals right now. I'm trying to put on muscle and running 12 miles a week would make it much harder to do that :/ I am thinking about enlisting in the marines eventually, however, so I'm going to have to start getting used to running long distances. When I start training for that you can count on me joining the club. In the meantime, does going to the gym 7 days a week for and hour and a half count? :D haha

• Like 1

HI FRIENDS!!!  I'm back and I've missed you all soooo much!!!!!!!!!  <3  

Sorry for disappearing!  I'm still clean, no relapsing happening, just crazy CRAZY business.  Besides grad school and all things associated, my cat almost died, and on top of that other crazy life drama going on.  

OK I think it's been like 2 weeks.  I got about 7-10 miles for each of those.   My old running shoes started hurting my achilles really bad so I just got some new ones and I LOVE THEM!!!  So comfy and lightweight!  Ran 4 miles last night, definitely getting my 12 this week!! :D  

More soon! 

• Like 4

Hi Ashley!!   CONGRATS ON GRADUATING!!!!  I'm so happy for you, and so proud!!!    :)    

My kitty is okay now.  He had crystals and needed surgery... poor guy :(  He's happy to be back and seems to be sweeter than ever, maybe because he just went through hell?

New running shoes are key!    I got New Balance WT710v2 trail running shoes.   I've been really into the New Balance running shoes for some years now, but these are the best ever!  

How are you?!

I can totally relate. Lifting is absolutely an escape for me. When I go to the gym, it's just me, my music, and the weights. Any stresses or issues in my life just dissipate the second I walk in the door. I would love to join the club but unfortunately I have different training goals right now. I'm trying to put on muscle and running 12 miles a week would make it much harder to do that :/ I am thinking about enlisting in the marines eventually, however, so I'm going to have to start getting used to running long distances. When I start training for that you can count on me joining the club. In the meantime, does going to the gym 7 days a week for and hour and a half count? :D haha

I have some friends training to get into the Air Force and Itheyve told me about all the fitness frequirements. I definitely get where you are in training and I have no doubt you'll be running soon. I used to lift a lot but I really want to do more cutting first before bulking so once I drop 10 more pounds I a, going to start working on building muscle and getting on a regimen of creatine and lifting to supplement my running. Going to the gym 7 times a week is awesome commitment and I commend you for that.

Hi Ashley!! CONGRATS ON GRADUATING!!!! I'm so happy for you, and so proud!!! :)

My kitty is okay now. He had crystals and needed surgery... poor guy :( He's happy to be back and seems to be sweeter than ever, maybe because he just went through hell?

New running shoes are key! I got New Balance WT710v2 trail running shoes. I've been really into the New Balance running shoes for some years now, but these are the best ever!

How are you?!

Glad to hear you are well and clean! Yes, new running shoes are key. The asics nimbus 15 were totally life changing for me. I have another pair waiting in the wings if my knees start to hurt again. Because after my last pair of shoes I understand the havoc it can cause on your knees if you don't switch them for a new pair. Glad your cat is well, that u are still running and that you are surviving grad school.
  • Like 2