QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Getting out of the adderall mentality

BeHereNow

Occasional,  I could of written your post its almost exactly how I feel most days. If it wasn't for hard deadlines I would never get anything done. I sort of abandoned the podormo technique too,  tho I find it useful on days when I just can't get going. I think this is where the rubber meets the road in terms of Adderall recovery.    I have this written on my bathroom mirror to remind me to keep struggling

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

• Like 4

Cassie,

My counselor helps because she's a recovering addict, so she can relate and has been through it. Her drugs of choice were alcohol and....speed. She gets the mentality.

That's awesome you have a counselor like that. I tried two therapists and didn't feel that comfortable around either one. One of them kept asking me about my sex life and my relationship with my husband because 'i never mentioned him.' Yeah, because my marriage is fine. I came to you to talk about my problems, dumbass. So yeah, your counselor sounds super cool. I just don't have the patience or money to 'counselor shop' for a good one, so i talk to friends that have been through addiction and get it.
  • Like 2

WOW I am just speechless!!!!! I spend so much time alone "in my head- with my thoughts" and at the time I feel that no one could understand what I am feeling like.... What it feels like to crave something so bad...even though you know it ONLY WILL CAUSE YOU PROBLEMS. Even though I haven't given in to those stong urges I truly think it is because I get STRENGH FROM ALL OF YOU GUYS!!!! And that strength is what I need to stay strong and NOT GIVE IN TO THOSE URGES! when I am thinking that NO ONE could ever understand what this feels like.... Then I come across a thread proves otherwise.

• Like 4

Occaisional, A thread wrothy of a Mary Oliver poem. I hope you like it.

Wild Geese

by Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,

calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

• Like 4

Jon, I'm glad to hear that you are seeing benefits to your hard work. I know that this 8 months has been very difficult for you. Good job on pushing yourself to make things better. I like your idea for a 1 year party; maybe I'll have to figure out where exactly Delaware is located, probably in the ADIZ.

• Like 3

OK, I decided that as I keep working on the adderall mentality, I'm going to keep posting in this thread with anything new and relevant I've figured out.  If we keep an ongoing conversation about this, maybe it would be really beneficial.

Which brings me to....today.  I realized I need to change my whole paradigm in terms of how I think about, and approach, work.  Pre-relapse, I came to genuinely love my work and all the jobs I've had (I know, I'm really lucky).  I was so inspired, the words and ideas would just magically flow and click together, and I would work with so much enthusiasm it became almost effortless.   It was fun, and playful.  I know this isn't most people's experience with work.... but it was mine.

But eventually I went back on adderall and back to school.  Between the pressure of grad school, and the adderall (which intensified the sense of pressure), the fun went away.  Even the fun of interacting with co-workers.  Adderall for the most part, for me, stops making things fun and joyful (like the way you're almost unable to laugh on adderall, or truly enjoy social interactions, etc.  The way you get irritated so much more easily, and think of work as this huge span of time, set aside, with no breaks, that has to be tackled with pills.)  It was adderall that made me start to think of work as something bad, even though I still enjoyed the high but also simultaneously hated it.  Overall it became associated with the increasingly dysphoric tweaked out experiences I was having, with sleep deprivation and inability to eat, with stress and pressure and crazy deep anxiety; with zero laughter or playfulness.

I need to disassociate it from all of that.  I need a whole different way of think about and approach what I'm doing.   I want to start moving towards genuine motivation.  I'm trying to start thinking of my thesis as "exciting," and a way of "exploring," (to get me started at least), as a way of helping me understand the world better.  Also as a step towards some further goals that I seem to have lost sight of in my PAWS states (and in my horrific self-confidence loss.)   I have to stop approaching work as something like the huge boulder Sisyphus pushed uphill all day long.  If I can make this shift, then procrastination maybe won't be such an issue anymore.

EDIT: Just found this quote from a self-help book Working It Out? by Virginia Valien.  It kind of sums up what I was trying to say here, but in a different way.

"It occurred to me that mental work is like sex in certain respects, although at first it seemed a bizarre comparison. The most important aspect of the analogy was the idea that work was natural. I had always thought of work as something I had to make myself do, something I didnít intrinsically enjoy. The analogy suggested that I was getting in my own way, that I was preventing myself from enjoying myself. It wasnít that I had to learn somehow to force myself to work, but rather to remove the roadblocks to the way of enjoyment. I continued the analogy and decided that I needed a similar form of therapy (as described by Masters and Johnson). I needed to break the process down, starting at the least threatening level, slowly building up and assembling the whole, and discussing how I felt and what I was learning as I was doing it."