QuittingAdderall.com Forums

starting therapy

Zerokewl

Good for you Z! Try to determine that this therapist is a good match for you personally and also with the goals you want to achieve. This is no easy task. Ask prepared questions. Write them all out. What do you want to get out of therapy?

Ask the therapist if they have experience with addiction? What kind of therapy do you like to use, cognitive, behavioral or another type of therapy? Try to determine if you like this person OR if you think that they can really help you. Don't be afraid to shop around. You could visit three different therapists and get something of value from each visit, but one therapist might be a clear standout for you. Remember they all want your business.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Hey ZK,

That's great your going to see a therapist tomorrow, good for you!

I completely agree with everything Jon and Justin has said above. Your first appointment, you may be kind of "feeling out" your therapist because sometimes the first person you go see, may not work out. You guys may not vibe or you may get along greatly, you never know and it may take a few sessions to tell.

Just go in very open minded and willing to learn, trust your therapist and be opened to try new things/methods. And be very, very honest, even if it's painful because they can't fully help you if your not telling them the complete truth. If you do that, I feel you will get the full benefits of therapy! Go in with an open mind and heart, you'll do fine. Goodluck tomorrow buddy :)

• Like 3

It went ok. The therapist seemed nice enough. I  talked about the Adderall a little bit, she seemed to have the opinion that adderall is over prescribed though she didn't say too much about it. She is going to review my profile with a psychologist. Still very early she needs to get to know me. I'm happy I made the decision to go.     

• Like 3

Zerokewl,

I'm very happy you're being proactive with your mental health! When people I know talk to me and are thinking about going to counseling, my point-of-view is that it can't hurt. I might feel that way because I have a great counselor, but I've been to plenty of counseling in the past, and the worst that's happened is I didn't get much out of it....but I actually think every counselor has helped in some way. Wow, I sound like a crazy person. I've only had like 5 of them...ha. But really, I'm glad you're going and be as open as possible. And like people posted above, you can decide if they're a good fit for you!

• Like 3

Thanks Ashley, 

I think its a positive step. I have been struggling with depression, she pointed out i've never been diagnosed with depression. Sort of a failing of the Canadian medical system. I received my diagnosis from a walk in clinic.  So we are going to work on that. I've been in a period of deep introspection for some time now, having an impartial observer on everything will help. 

Also I believe it will be useful to get a perspective other than this groups (no offense). 

In the session I talked about 30 things all at once and I mentioned finally I wanted to work on my ADHD... she smiled wryly and knowingly and said "umm yah".   So maybe she's a fit I booked another appointment. 

• Like 3