QuittingAdderall.com Forums

addiction is more complicated than just dopamine/oxytocin

Doge

I love this. Adderall fueled my isolation (why hang out when there is WORK to be done?), but now that I'm off it, I'm just too damn tired to put myself out there and be around people who I don't know very well. I'm an extrovert, so I'm just hoping that things will get better with continued sobriety. Has anyone else had trouble re-making their own "rat park"? What has helped? What's the modern sewing circle for 30-somethings?

• Like 2

For me I found that for the first 5 months or so I just needed to become comfortable on my own.  I'm naturally an introvert, however.  I spent time a lot of time procrastinating work, learning to cook new things, watching tv, reading, video games (though they just weren't as fun without adderall, and this has been pretty much phased out of my life now - not a bad thing lol).

The gym and drastically improved nutritional intake has been the only consistent and productive thing in my life since I quit and the benefits have been unfathomable to my confidence and energy levels.  Going from watching your own life slowly degenerate away day by day into a progressive routine of daily self improvement is great for the self esteem and outlook on the future.

I know for a fact now that even if I fail out of school over the next year (which may happen though I hope they at least let me leave elegantly with a lesser degree than the one I'm working on) I will find joy in life still, somehow, no matter what.  This is worth more to me now than all the dopamine that all the adderall in the world could ever give me.

As for the rat park, I'm still working on it.  It definitely takes time and doesn't happen overnight.

I am a huge fan of these fundamental exercises that you can do at home.  (though I believe the elbows look too high in the diagram below, they should be closer to your sides to avoid over stressing them)

20120719193540-50-wall-push-ups-for-7-da

Try to work up to 3 sets of 40 with perfect form.  It's great for helping repair the back and shoulders and posture.

Also this stretch is great for regaining some flexibility (that is usually lost while sitting at a desk in horrible writing position for hours and hours and hours).  I like to use a pair of jeans because it's easy to grip and everyone has a pair lying around.

hamstring_7.jpg

And these are great for the hips (I still cant do 3 sets of 20 slowly) which is important for lower back stability - especially if you want to start jogging eventually

20131006020550-50-side-leg-raises-every-

you can get started with these until you get your membership.  I promise it will feel so good

enjoy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this post.

I recently moved to a new city and every time i visit back home where i used to live i feel no need to take Adderall, in fact i don't even think about it.

I visited for three weeks last month & they sat in my purse the whole time but the very first day i came back, the urges to take Adderall were really strong and i succumbed. I battle with myself here, but i don't battle when i am away from here.

Also playing video games again when not on Adderall is a strange thing to adapt to.