QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Coping with Boredom?

Speeder906

I have a huge problem with boredom at work.  I honestly wish I was held more accountable because I'll spend hours scrolling through social media. But I don't recommend doing this to stay busy.  I've found that in itself has become an addiction and something I use to escape work/reality.  I've since cut back after realizing how toxic it can be.

If your that bored, I'd try new healthy hobbies/habits.  i.e. cardio and weight training, reading, meditation.  I highly recommend the headspace app for meditation. You could find some local NA or AA meetings to attend.  I'd try a few and see which ones you feel a connection with, I've gone to some that just aren't for me.  You could also listen to some educational/fun podcasts.  I love the Joe Rogan podcast.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom23Jones said:

I have a huge problem with boredom at work.  I honestly wish I was held more accountable because I'll spend hours scrolling through social media. But I don't recommend doing this to stay busy.  I've found that in itself has become an addiction and something I use to escape work/reality.  I've since cut back after realizing how toxic it can be.

i don't know if this is weird or not, but somehow i've managed to avoid all major social media: facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram, etc.  , but honestly it's not because of some admirable discipline or anything.. it's more about not wanting to be constantly bombarded with people advertising the best version of themselves and comparing my depressing life to everything constantly.

2 hours ago, Speeder906 said:

I feel overall fine off Adderall but my main struggle is finding things to do throughout the day. Anyone have any tips for staying busy and/or picking up a new hobby?

yea, this is the really difficult part of recovery- you feel fine physically and mentally for the most part, but things you used to enjoy just don't seem as fun, so it's kind of hard to occupy yourself and have it not feel like an effort. i'm not sure i have a good answer to this- in fact this is partly what kind of led to my relapse recently. FWIW, i started on an anti-depressant (wellbutrin), and i feel a bit more positive about things... but also it feels a little bit like now i'm just not as depressed about being bored (:

sorry if that wasn't helpful, just wanted to share that i understand where you're coming from lol

• Like 3

‘Countin' flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all
Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one
Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo
Now don't tell me 
I've nothin' to do’
Boredom = motavtion to do something. I’d say if your feeling bored that’s a good thing. For most of my recovery doing absolutely nothing was just fine with me. 
  • Like 3