QuittingAdderall.com Forums

New Years resolution.

Frank B

My resolution this year is to get back to a reasonable weight! Day 1 of ketogenic diet starts today.

i've made it about a month on keto before, and lost a good amount of weight, but i've never coupled it with regular exercise. that's the 2nd prong of my resolution: REGULAR EXERCISE.

fitter. happier. more productive. (:

• Like 4

My resolution is to gain a better understanding of my relationship with alcohol.  I'm going to start by having a DRY JANUARY.  Google it.  I have learned so far that there was a study done somewhere that found about 2/3 of people who quit drinking during their dry January had a more positive relationship with alcohol for the rest of the year...so it is worth a try.  I can't remember the last time I have gone an entire week without drinking, let alone a whole month.  So far, so good - no DT's or seizures or uncontrollable cravings.  I am also journaling a bit every day regarding this experiment.  Anybody want to join me?

• Like 3

@quit-once I had a lot of success with that. I had a 'dry' October and it definitely helped change my relationship with alcohol. I don't think I had gone a week since I started drinking around age 20 (15 years ago). It was just such a part of my life to reflexively have a beer at night, and sometimes more. Over the years I'd pared back enough where I wan't hungover the next morning (mostly), but I would still drink by myself most every night (my wife doesn't drink much). My goal was to just drink more purposely, like most people do, e.g. when I'm around other people or when I really want to enjoy that. I'd also been going through some depression issues and knew that alcohol was not helping with that at all.

It was really hard. The first time I went to bar and said 'I'll have a water' to someone offering to buy a round of drinks, wow, it was surreal. But I actually had fun that night! And I could drive home without worrying about drinking too much. After going 30 days, I am much more in control now. I crave it less.

One thing I learned is that I just like a carbonated drink in the evening. I switched to non-alcoholic Ginger beer, and then phased that out for La Croix (the Ginger Beer had 170 calories!)

Now I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of some health metrics, including how many drinks I've had. If I see I've been trending towards drinking too many days, I pare it back down. It's a battle but it's gotten WAY easier, and I've lost 10 pounds as well! Honestly I can't believe it took me 15 years to do this.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 8:55 PM, quit-once said:

My resolution is to gain a better understanding of my relationship with alcohol.  I'm going to start by having a DRY JANUARY.  Google it.  I have learned so far that there was a study done somewhere that found about 2/3 of people who quit drinking during their dry January had a more positive relationship with alcohol for the rest of the year...so it is worth a try.  I can't remember the last time I have gone an entire week without drinking, let alone a whole month.  So far, so good - no DT's or seizures or uncontrollable cravings.  I am also journaling a bit every day regarding this experiment.  Anybody want to join me?

its very interesting that you use the word "relationship" here- i like that choice in the context of alcohol, because alcohol is embedded into the fabric of our culture and society in a way most other drugs are not. going dry or getting sober must be so much more challenging, simply because you cannot avoid its presence.

i'm struggling a bit with my diet, but still committed! i AM very happy to report though that an unintended but very much welcome resolution is QUITTING SMOKING. i've been a smoker for a little over 10 years (and a chain smoker while on adderall), but as of today I haven't had a cigarette in a month!!! to be fair.. i've had a little help from Wellbutrin, which is actually prescribed off-label for smoking cessation.. but i'll take whatever help i can get (:

• Like 2

I like this idea, Frank. 

My resolution is to create systems that bring in a greater sense of manageability and order into my daily life.

I'll have five years off Adderall (and all substances) April 13th. In that time, I've managed to put in place the building blocks for an incredibly fulfilling life. 2017 was a major transition year where I experienced a tremendous amount of growth, personally and professionally. 

I had arguably the most "productive" days of my life last Thursday and Friday. Not necessarily in terms of impact, but efficiency. Whole days of meaningful work and personal interactions. As issues came up, I dealt with them what felt like effortlessly. Over the last year, I've been starting to have these every week. Not every day, but probably ~10/month. On those days, I'm orders of magnitude more effective than I ever was on Adderall. It's taken a TON of work to get to this point, as well as patience in letting the recovery/healing process play out.

SO, I'd like to get some systems in place to regularly process and integrate higher time frame goals and priorities into my daily life. I bit the bullet and paid to work privately with an ADHD coach for the next six months. That's off to a good start. Expecting 2018 Moleskine calendar to be delivered shortly (I'm jonesing without it). At work, starting to upload client info to a CRM, which should mean I have less "stuff" to remember. Will see what comes out of this coaching. I know I'm on when I get out of bed and approach my day with alacrity and a sense of purpose, while remaining flexible enough to deal with things as they arise and even leave room to be spontaneous. : )

• Like 3

@sleepystupid 30 days off cigs?  You rock, Man!  I kicked the cigs when I kicked Adderall with some help from Chantix.  The Chantix really messed with my mind in early Adderall withdrawal.  

@MindOverMatter I was working in bars last Friday and during the last inspection, someone tried to buy me a shot, several times.  It was pretty easy to decline, since I was working anyway, but that exercise only strengthened my resolve to make this whole Dry January thing work.  I have also discovered seltzer water is very satisfying in the evenings.  Your success with a dry October and afterword is exactly the kind of encouragement I needed to hear tonight.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/8/2018 at 11:11 AM, hyper_critical said:

I like this idea, Frank. 

My resolution is to create systems that bring in a greater sense of manageability and order into my daily life.

I'll have five years off Adderall (and all substances) April 13th. In that time, I've managed to put in place the building blocks for an incredibly fulfilling life. 2017 was a major transition year where I experienced a tremendous amount of growth, personally and professionally. 

I had arguably the most "productive" days of my life last Thursday and Friday. Not necessarily in terms of impact, but efficiency. Whole days of meaningful work and personal interactions. As issues came up, I dealt with them what felt like effortlessly. Over the last year, I've been starting to have these every week. Not every day, but probably ~10/month. On those days, I'm orders of magnitude more effective than I ever was on Adderall. It's taken a TON of work to get to this point, as well as patience in letting the recovery/healing process play out.

SO, I'd like to get some systems in place to regularly process and integrate higher time frame goals and priorities into my daily life. I bit the bullet and paid to work privately with an ADHD coach for the next six months. That's off to a good start. Expecting 2018 Moleskine calendar to be delivered shortly (I'm jonesing without it). At work, starting to upload client info to a CRM, which should mean I have less "stuff" to remember. Will see what comes out of this coaching. I know I'm on when I get out of bed and approach my day with alacrity and a sense of purpose, while remaining flexible enough to deal with things as they arise and even leave room to be spontaneous. : )

Hi!!  I totally relate to this post (even though I'm at day 5 right now, I had 6 years substance free at one point) and I was going to respond and then I realized that you wrote this in 2018!!  So I'm just wondering if you have any update!  How are you doing?!  I have worked with several ADHD coaches and found them all to be helpful in different ways.  I'm still in the process of creating systems to be most effective, but I went back down the rabbit hole with Adderall and ended up stalling out on all the systems I had begun to effectively put in place 2.5 years ago.  It's okay though, I know I will slowly and steadily make progress.  Hope you are well!