QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Job offer

Hey friends,

This morning I received an email regarding an interview for a position in a field of work where I was employed for quite a few years. The position is higher up in the ranks than I am used to, so naturally, I am extremely intimidated as this will be the first job interview I have done since quitting Adderall.

When I was a user, I use to run through jobs like no one's business. Not only was I selfish and irresponsible in general, but I also knew I could easily get a new one. My charisma and energy were through the roof when I was medicated, and employers seemed to like that. (I wonder if they knew I was high asf)

I am qualified for such a position. I have the credentials and know this type of work inside and out. But the entire time I worked in this industry has been a time when I have been on Adderall. Now I am afraid that who I am currently won't be enough to cut it. I am doubting if all of my accomplishments thus far are even relevant or real. I feel like a fraud.

I'm afraid my worst fear will come true- that I am not sufficient on my own without Adderall. That no one will like me and my personality without being high. Adderall was a mask for me for so many years so I didn't have to truly get intimate with anyone- including employers.

I am terrified that the real me will be rejected.

I am also worried that I will end up oversharing. Being on Adderall, you tend to overindulge in personal information because you have superficial confidence, now I'm worried I will overshare, or get nervous and not say enough. Where do I draw the line? My anxiety is through the roof- which is giving me more anxiety. I never use to worry about job interviews! I know I am coming off as super insecure- it's because I am and I never realized it until now.

Has anyone gone back to work or started working a new job after getting clean and had similar problems??

• Like 3

Congrats on this opportunity! That fraud feeling is so real! If you read through my recent posts you’ll find one where I has to give a presentation to my executive team recently, it was terrifying and very relatable to what you described.

My best recommendation is to put some hard work into this interview. Know the company, job description and associated responsibilities inside and out. Have your experience and examples on how you fit this role written down - study and refine these over and over. If there’s any areas you lack a lot of experience, write that down and practice what you want to say here too. In summary, prep any and all possible answers and questions you have for this interview and keep running through it. This will give you a certain level of confidence during the interview because you’re going to be pulling this content from memory, and you can use the rest of your energy for any curve balls that come your way. I’ve done this exercise for any job interview that was important to me over the last 8 years and always received an offer. 

good luck!! Would love to know how it goes 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brit said:

My best recommendation is to put some hard work into this interview. Know the company, job description and associated responsibilities inside and out. Have your experience and examples on how you fit this role written down - study and refine these over and over. If there’s any areas you lack a lot of experience, write that down and practice what you want to say here too. In summary, prep any and all possible answers and questions you have for this interview and keep running through it. This will give you a certain level of confidence during the interview because you’re going to be pulling this content from memory, and you can use the rest of your energy for any curve balls that come your way. I’ve done this exercise for any job interview that was important to me over the last 8 years and always received an offer. 

Thank you!!! This is fantastic advice

• Like 2

Congrats on job interview! It’s good to start now where you are. You are qualified even if you don’t “feel” invincible any more. You prob will find that you are way more capable than you realize. Pushing ourselves is so hard while we are recovering, but that’s how we heal the fastest. Even if you don’t get the job just putting yourself out there will give you a much needed boost and help fuel the next opportunity  

• Like 2