QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Four months clean - weight gain but still no appetite!

msb1128

Quick question: Like many of you I have gained 15-20 lbs since quitting. It's annoying but I'm not too worried. Just so relieved to be clean, which is more important. Anyway, so many people seem to report having a voracious appetite after they quit. In my case it seems my appetite has still not come back. The adderall destroyed it. I was almost never hungry and had to make myself eat. Strangely enough this has continued. Has this happened to anyone else?

All I can think of is that the adderall had me in near starvation mode most of the time (no history of eating disorders, just not hungry), so maybe it wrecked my metabolism. Now that I'm off I've had the typical weight gain - maybe I'm eating just a little more??? - but for the most part I have no natural interest in food. That part has not really changed since I was on adderall. The only other possible theory: I think I've heard that some nutritional deficiencies can actually cause loss of appetite, and I'm sure while I was on adderall I had some major deficiencies developing due to not eating enough. 

I should mention I have adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism too in case that could be related in any way. It's just so weird because it's not at all what I would have expected since so many others talk about wanting to eat everything in sight. I wish I could enjoy my food again, especially since I'm three sizes bigger now anyway! Lol!

I can relate to you once in awhile I look foward to a big meal but my appetite never has came back to what it was before adderal. I think some of it is depression when I get depressed I do not want to eat many people do the opposite. My weight is decent trying to lose my small belly by working out but it's a slow process and I still like munching on carbs if I quit that might help but then I don't eat much at all. I tried that low carb diet once off addy and instead of not eating carbs I just kept skipping meals seemed easier but that was not healthy either.

FrankB, you may be right about the depression. When depressed I tend to not eat as opposed to overeating. It's weird that I've gained all the post-adderall weight anyway. Oh well. Paradoxically I may need to actually eat more and start working out to revive my metabolism and get back to where I was before adderall. 

Definitely I would say skipping meals is not helpful. My blood sugar tanks, the adrenaline kicks in, and this is really bad with me trying to recover from adrenal fatigue, which I know the adderall contributed to, at least in part.