QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Seeking advice on work LOA for first few weeks of quitting Adderall

IGotThis

Has anyone taken a LOA for the first few weeks after quitting adderall? It feels like the only way I'll be able to quit while maintaining my corporate job.

If so, do you have any guidance or advice for the approach? I'm assuming it'd need to be submitted as a mental health LOA, but I'm not sure how to approach asking a doctor to sign off on the necessary LOA documents. I don't intend on going to a treatment/rehab facility but would like to avoid the temptation of taking adderall for work as I'm going through initial withdraws as it's a main trigger for me. Based on past attempts at quitting I truly need the time to focus on my mental and physical health because I immediately fall behind when I stop taking adderall and then get stressed/anxious/overwhelmed which leads me to relapsing.

I'm committed to working with a doctor or therapist throughout my LOA to acquire the necessary tools to combat temptations but currently do not have a primary doctor that I have a relationship with. I'm trying to get the necessary doctor approvals ASAP and don't have time to establish a 2-3 month relationship beforehand. Has anyone had success with asking a doctor to approve/submit the necessary LOA paperwork to work through adderall withdraws or the inital negative impacts on mental health?

I'll take any and all guidance/info/reccomendations, thanks!

• Like 2

@IGotThis

first off, props for taking this challenge on seriously! for some people, an LOA can make the difference between success or not. it sounds like you've come to terms with this, and of course your health should take priority over everything else, but understandably your job and financial security are also quite important.

there are probably a few different options on the table for an extended LOA, and it will depend on your employers policies and your employment status. the first step is probably reaching out to your HR department or checking your employee handbook regarding this type of scenario. you should look into the FMLA program which guarantees up to 12 weeks per year of unpaid medical leave without risk to your job security. there are some requirements and stipulations including how long you've been with the employer and also obtaining a medical certification.

here's an excellent FAQ on the program:

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla/faq

you mention that you do not currently have a primary care doctor, but presumably you have a prescription from Adderall from somewhere? if you are obtaining it illegally, it's probably time to find a psych that ideally specializes in addiction to establish your medical necessity for leave.

just remember through all of this that your health is the most important thing. don't make compromises that you don't believe are sustainable. gl and keep us posted (:

• Like 2