QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How to push past intense cravings

OnSomething

if you remove any access to the drug by cutting off your supplier (informing your doctor that you are addicted, getting rid of contacts number, etc.) that just leaves you with the feeling of craving without the option to do anything about it. So, you just have to walk through the fire. to lessen the pain, you can accept that you are in pain. Yes, binge watching a good show is fantastic at this juncture. but you aren't going to escape the inevitable. you just need to frame it differently. Having hope helps. for instance, I was taking 90 to 200 mg a day for 6 years. I quit cold turkey on August 1, 2021 by flushing my prescription and calling my doctor telling them I was badly addicted and had them put me on the "do not prescribe" list. I am at 16 months clean now. The first year is brutal, with intermittent bursts of healing. BUT you will eventually heal and I am so happy that I quit and stuck with it. knowing that you will heal and lift will be sooo much better - eventually - helps. Good luck to you! sometimes we need to trudge through several relapses before we finally hit bottom and quit. Life is waiting on the other side.

• Like 2

you can.do this!  after many.quits im finally done!  almost 3 months now.  it does get better.  cravings go away one.of 2 ways.  we give in and they go away and then come back x3 or we wait and surf the urge and.it goes away.  the more we do that the easier it gets.  google "surf the urge" and read a bunch of things on that to distract yourself.  try an.online smart trcovery meeting.  listen to a recovery podcast or a quitlit book.  anything to.pass the time and put more time betweenyou and the pills.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DelaneyJuliette said:

you can.do this!  after many.quits im finally done!  almost 3 months now.  it does get better.  cravings go away one.of 2 ways.  we give in and they go away and then come back x3 or we wait and surf the urge and.it goes away.  the more we do that the easier it gets.  google "surf the urge" and read a bunch of things on that to distract yourself.  try an.online smart trcovery meeting.  listen to a recovery podcast or a quitlit book.  anything to.pass the time and put more time betweenyou and the pills.

GO DELANEYJULIETTE! Good work on 3 months!

On 12/1/2022 at 2:04 AM, OnSomething said:

Tomorrow will be my day 1.. NA has really helped me but I’m dreading the cravings. Anyone have any good podcast/movie recommendations/etc to distract me through my bad cravings? For reference I’m taking 200mg a day and drink 2 bottles of wine a night to come down.. 

The cravings will probably be intense for you.  It is no different than food cravings and other cravings though.  You have to wait it out and it will go away.  I always would tell myself to wait a certain length of time, maybe 2 hours or so and told myself that if I still wanted it badly at that time that I would take it.  The craving would always be long gone by then.   Adjust your times according to how long they last for you if you decide to try it.

I'm almost at 11 months clean now and I still have 3 full bottles of prescription Adderall in my top drawer that I had leftover because I weaned myself off.  I was able to survive cravings with a large supply on hand.  I don't get cravings anymore.  I plan on flushing them on my 1 year anniversary.  

Good Luck!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GettingOffOfIt said:

I'm almost at 11 months clean now and I still have 3 full bottles of prescription Adderall in my top drawer that I had leftover because I weaned myself off.  I was able to survive cravings with a large supply on hand.  I don't get cravings anymore.  I plan on flushing them on my 1 year anniversary.  

That was my strategy as well.  I quit with hundreds of pills locked up in a bank safe deposit box.  Than I liquidated them about six months after quitting, when they began calling out to me.  I still have the last pill I never took, melted into a black glob on a rock I burned in the fire on the last day I took them - June 3, 2011. 

• Like 2