QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Root canal

ashley6

I went to my dentist yesterday with a broken tooth. He's sending me to an oral surgeon for this root canal, because it's too close to the nerve for him to do it. It sounds like it's going to be pretty intense, and I know they'll prescribe me a narcotic. I'm going to be upfront with them about my addiction issues, because I'd really like to get through it without an addictive painkiller. My counselor said they have nonnarcotic pain medication that they can give now, so hopefully that's true. I'm just curious if any of you have dealt with this in recovery? INRecovery, I know you said you had to take some when you were super sick. I'm just trying to err on the side of caution here. Any advice would be awesome.

ugh that sounds awful you poor thing! I hope you're not suffering for too long....

Unfort, I don't have any advice to offer for the pain killers stuff. I've never been able to tolerate pain meds myself as they make me really sick, but I do know others who really struggle to get off their addictions to pain meds.

A side point: if you're going to be recovering from oral surgery, might this be a good opportunity to quit smoking???? :o

Ouch, good luck! Same as MFA I have never been able to tolerate painkillers and they make me sick.

However this post motivated me to be upfront at my next dentist's appointment about my adderall use which I have never owned up to, even though they've been concerned about my teeth grinding and gum recession. I knew it was from adderall but was embarrassed to admit it so I acted like it was all from stress.

Does your dentist know you used adderall?

MFA,

Yes, this would be a great opportunity to quit smoking, but ahhhh!

Cat,

They have it in my records that I was on adderall, but I hadn't been to my dentist since I quit. I told him I'd previously been on high dosages of adderall and asks if he knew much about the correlation between adderall and teeth problems, because the research I've done has shown that adderall can do serious damage (my research has been this website...ha). He said there was something in his medical journal about it recently, but didn't seem to know a whole lot about it.

I went to my dentist yesterday with a broken tooth. He's sending me to an oral surgeon for this root canal, because it's too close to the nerve for him to do it. It sounds like it's going to be pretty intense, and I know they'll prescribe me a narcotic. I'm going to be upfront with them about my addiction issues, because I'd really like to get through it without an addictive painkiller. My counselor said they have nonnarcotic pain medication that they can give now, so hopefully that's true. I'm just curious if any of you have dealt with this in recovery? INRecovery, I know you said you had to take some when you were super sick. I'm just trying to err on the side of caution here. Any advice would be awesome.

I actually had a couple root canals after I quit adderall. I got prescribed Oxycotin for the pain, but there was really no pain and it wasn't necessary to take it. I took like one but I didn't even need to take that. And i didn't touch the rest of the pills. I think you'll be okay. you really don't need anything.

You can ask them to prescribe you a non narcotic painkiller, which is like a slightly stronger than over the counter ibuprofin. I think its called prescription motrin.

I don't know about non-narcotic meds, but I've had 3 root canals (and even scarier oral surgery I won't speak of, involving the deep nerves) and they gave me NOTHING for any of this. Well, they gave me novocaine.

And actually, I was 100% fine. It didnt even hurt afterwards.

The concept of a root canal is worse than the procedure itself. You'll be ok! :)

Ashley,

I think you'd be fine taking them for pain, because you've never been addicted to anything besides adderall and you don't have the stereotypical addictive/thrill seeking personality. You don't abuse your klonopin even though benzos are very addictive to many people. You and I are what my friend calls 'discerning addicts.' We have but one drug of choice. The other non-stimulant drugs? Boring!

• Like 1

They gave me like 17 lortabs, but I'm going to plan on taking them only today and tomorrow if the pain is bad. I took a half so far. There was some serious drilling going on, so I imagine I'll feel that after the numbness wears off. I've never heard the term "discerning addicts," but that's interesting and think that is true for me. I think my main concern is what the AA belief is...that any mind-altering substance will affect the addict, but you make a good point with the klonopin. I can't fathom abusing it to get high....that would be so lame to me. l'll just take the pain pills with caution and take as few as possible. Thanks for your input!

The procedure wasn't so bad was it? They numb you and then its over. But boy the term root canal is so horrible sounding. When they told me I had to get a root canal I was like what?? Because it sounded awful. They need to come up with a milder term for it, not root canal.

I don't recall feeling any pain after the numbness wore off, definitely no pain by the next day. I doubt u will need anything.

• Like 1

This is my second one. I think root canals have a way worse reputation than they actually are....I agree. This one was more intense than my other one, though. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to nap it off right now :)

Glad you're resting - that's how the body heals!

InRecovery, I wish I could say the same thing as you. Root canal for me was nightmarish because I had an inflamed nerve and the dentist kept hitting it with his instruments. I've had only one, and hopefully never again!

I'm getting rid of my Lortabs today. I've had some pain, so I'll keep one on hand in case. I don't know if it's mental or if I actually feel good with them, but I don't dislike them, and that's enough risk for me to deal with some pain. It's crazy how careful I have to be, but adderall addiction is bad enough, I don't want to ever deal with anything like that again.

Ok, I made that sound really casual, but to be honest it's freaking me out. I hope this isn't a set back in my head.

If it were some other kind of speed you would have cause to be freaked out. Not even in the same class of drug as adderall, and lortabs sure as hell are not percs or oxies. Don't worry, you will be just fine. I don't know anybody who got addicted to anything from just one small bottle of pills.

Last night was such a bad night. I broke down and just sobbed for the first time in awhile. Geez, those Lortabs threw me for a loop. I kept thinking, "have I doomed my recovery?" Today is a new day and only I can make the choice to get over it and move on and that's what I'm going to do...I'm making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Last night was such a bad night. I broke down and just sobbed for the first time in awhile. Geez, those Lortabs threw me for a loop. I kept thinking, "have I doomed my recovery?" Today is a new day and only I can make the choice to get over it and move on and that's what I'm going to do...I'm making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Hey lovely lady,

Pain killers make me terribly depressed. As does pain in general, and I also get depression a little bit after novocaine - I'm always a bit teary after going to the dentist. I don't think it is you! I don't think you are suffering any kind of drug related relapse, you're just in pain and a bit down and recovering.

Like you've said to me on so many occasions, take it easy and focus on your recovery. You are so, so strong, Ashley! I hope you can take the rest you need to feel better.