QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Provigil

Oh boyee...

I was talking to a good friend today who I really respect and she started ranting about this drug she heard about (thanks, NY Times) and how it's the "limitless" drug. I know nothing about it but of course the alarm bells went off. It's listed as a stimulant. I am really worried this is big pharma's attempt to slightly reformulate adderall and call it something else. I don't know anything about it - does anyone here have any experience with it?

I wouldn't say it's the "Limitless Drug", that more so would Adderal/dex/mamph.... mephedrone might come close if you count small usage.

But when it comes to Provigial (Modafinil) also Adrafinil which metabolizes into Modafinil. Very weird feelings from that stuff, they give it to air force pilots to stay awake, side prescribed as "narcolepsy treatment meds", off-brand style. Beats any nootropic, harder to drink ethanol on, which is good.

Unfortunately, I want to summarize this up, (3 days clean now from any adderall), stimulants honestly suck for 98% of the population. For those of you that can live with it and control it, you are different. But either way, I had plenty of experience with modafinil quite a bit, in fact a number of other nootropics. Anyhow, anybody who wants to share experiences related to this post, and just addiction in general, please feel free.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was the same or similar to Piracetam which I'd asked about earlier on this site and was considering taking myself. I'm confused because the only anecdotal stuff people seem to refer to is that it makes them feel "weird". Can you describe this? Is it habit-forming? What are the upsides and downsides? I imagine that any drug that makes you stay awake for 40 hours at a time can't be a good thing but curious to know more... thanks!

well... my doc really isn't up on the topic of nootropics. He's never heard of racetams or any incarnation thereof, or noopept which probably falls into the same category. Last week I emailed him an article on phenibut which he's also never heard of. His view on supplements is that in the absence of clinical data/ tests or whatever -- we really don't know if they work or what they do. We know what they are supposed to do. Now keep in mind this is coming from a professor of medicine, and temper that with my opinion which is that of someone who is always looking for that magical supplement...

He doesn't know a lot about herbs but does know that most pharmaceuticals start out as herbs, so herbs and therefore supplements can absolutely be effective, habit forming if taken inappropriately or merely be having a placebo effect. In my case it was suggested I try spending more time on natural dopamine enhancing activities, like exercise, the great outdoors, and love!

edit -- provigil etc... prescription stimulant

Thanks so much lea. I'm seeing my doc in a week and will ask her, but I suspect the answer will be the same.

I will also ask my friend the neuropsychopharmacologist. He is a big fan of supplements and takes many himself, so maybe he knows. This guy is also pro-adderall though so I'm not sure how much faith I'll put in his answers.

The fact that it even says "stimulant" is enough to put me off provigil.

• Like 1

Tried Aniracetam, Piracetam, Phenitbut, Hydergine, Vincepotine, IT-290, DOC, many others. Nothing beats normal exercise, coffee in the morning, and a young child in ones life. Being a father and being sober kicks ass over ANY thing else!

Raked leaves in the yard yesterday and today, played with nerf darts outside, the child is the essence of what life is. Terrence Mckenna at play!

I haven't cared about privacy at all through this stuff, and I suddenly did for like a week. I'll put one up again soon, because my profile is seriously boring.

lol, i know! I dont care and then suddenly I really, really care. But like the reality is NO ONE we know is EVER going to find us on here unless we specifically tell them to come here. It's not like this is nytimes.com or anything. Not that it really should matter but...i go through bursts where sometimes it really matters like you did, especially with my post on cheating...

Back to the topic of Provigil, I definitely heard of it, and when I was abusing adderall regularly i wanted it so badly because i knew it increased dopamine in the synapses. And that was the feeling i needed to keep my existance.

For anyone reading this forum, I would totally stay away from that. Not even think about it anymore. Your dopamine receptors need to repair and that stuff to me seems like another form of getting dopamine, just with a different drug.

Also it is a scheduled drug. It's not as controlled as the amphetamines (schedule II) but it is still something that can be abused and needs to be scheduled.

• Like 1

Cassie, you're our resident researcher... could you possibly look in to whether there are any articles that can be read by the layperson about how this drug actually works? I am hearing conflicting reports - some say it enhances dopamine activity and some don't. I would like to know. I talked to my doctor about it and she wasn't v helpful.... she said it was, "adderall lite", whatever that means.

Cassie, you're our resident researcher... could you possibly look in to whether there are any articles that can be read by the layperson about how this drug actually works? I am hearing conflicting reports - some say it enhances dopamine activity and some don't. I would like to know. I talked to my doctor about it and she wasn't v helpful.... she said it was, "adderall lite", whatever that means.

The Stuff You Should Know podcast has an episode that talks about it and has lots of references to other sources. It's really good:

http://www.stuffyous...ng-out-sleep/5/

Also, there was a 2009 study from Brown University:

Title: Study finds modafinil increases dopamine in brain, suggesting potential for abuse

Abstract: In a study of 10 healthy males, researchers measured the effects of modafinil at therapeutic doses on extracellular dopamine and dopamine transporters in the brain.

Modafinil blocked dopamine transporters and increased dopamine availability in the brain, including the nucleus accumbens. Drugs that increase dopamine in the nucleus accumbens have the potential for abuse.

With the increasing use of modafinil, there is a need for increased awareness on the risk of abuse and dependence

Your friend is in denial: it's a stimulant and it's addictive. The bottom line is that you can't cheat sleep without unwanted consequences.

• Like 1

that makes sense, the releasing of dopamine seems to be what makes adderall or other CNS stims addictive, so just because provigil makes that happen through a different process wouldn't seem to make it less addictive. It's weird when I google provigil I can't find any real current discussions or news reports on it, it's all from a few years ago.