QuittingAdderall.com Forums

So painful

Sunny1023

I was prescribed Adderall 5 years ago after a brain injury and only took it as directed. I have reduced my mgs - now I am miserable and barely functioning. I have young kids whose dad isn't around and don't have much family to help me either. I've been using supplements & energy drinks but it's like a band aid on a gunshot wound. At times, I am hopeful about life without it but right now I'm a mess. I wish I had the option of sleeping all weekend to step down a little faster.

I never took more than one a day, so is this addiction or dependence? Call me naive but I had no idea this could happen...I've never had a drug/alcohol problem.

Hi Sunny,

Welcome to the Quitting Adderall forum. This is the right place to be if you want support in quitting Adderall.

One fact is that our bodies become dependent on Adderall. The problem is that in order to maintain a certain level of functioning the dosage must be maintained and eventually increased over time. This is why your body wants to sleep all weekend. You cut back on your dosage. Your body has become dependent on Adderall.

After we take the drug for a long enough time, in our minds we build up a relationship with taking the pill and our will to get things done. Take a pill, wait for 20 minutes, get stuff done. I believe this is the addiction part, but it's all the same ball of wax.

It sounds as if your situation for quitting isn't ideal right now. That's okay. You can plan your quit to suit your situation. It is different for everyone. I'm sorry you find yourself suddenly hijacked by this awlful drug. You are not alone. Stay close to the forum.

• Like 1

You are so sweet and I appreciate the support! It will be about 12 years before I have no responsibility...lol

I've been cutting back for 5 weeks - maybe too quickly. I haven't stepped up at all, but I'm planning on maintaining a little longer. Today has been much better already and I am grateful.

• Like 1

I've been trying to warn my friends what it's like too. We are all single working moms. Honestly, if I'd never had the panic attack I would not have quit. I am grateful nowthat I know the consequences of a mind altering medication. Scared to death to get put on antidepressants now which I'd already tried before. I will pray thisbe as smooth of a transition as possible for you. For myself being busy and out has been the best thing for me. Probably why work sucks (inside office alone!).