QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Questions....

lunax

1) I've heard a few stories of people dying either from Psychosis or overdose.

2) Long term drug use is really hard on the liver (according to Dr. Drew)

3) Most I've take 120 mg crushed.  It was the most i've ever taken I've heard of others doing more. I quit before I really developed much tolerance

Unbelievable but True Story

I was introduced to adderall from a friend I worked with.  I was working in media at the time. He was over prescribed and was using it heavily. After a few months he started acting more and more erratic.   I was getting weird messages late at night and at work his emails made no sense.  I started to wonder if it was psychosis of some form .  He looked really rough and was missing a lot of work. I knew adderall was magnifying some of his health problems. Not sleeping, eating etc was really taking a toll. 

So I come into work one day. My assistant tells me that my buddy has been hospitalized with flesh eating disease.  FLESH EATING DISEASE!!! WTF! I figure this is just the product of an overactive rumour mill, I'd also heard mumps.  So I send some messages to his wife and do some research.  

My friend had contracted necrotizing facia. Thanks to the quick thinking of his ex-nurse father. He was rushed to hospital and was operated on in time to save him and most of his leg.  My pal is in a comma for 10 days shortly after he awakes he sends me a picture of what is left of his leg. 

A few weeks pass, when he was was cleared for visitors ,  I go visit him in hospital. Beautiful moment on sunny Sunday morning talking to a man who almost died and had just seen his kids. We were so happy to be alive that morning.

Whether or not the heavy adderall use cased the  Necrotizing Facia is hard to say conclusively. Tho in the research i did I found a link between drug addicts and  Necrotizing Facia.  Not sleeping & eating likely weakened his immune system and he caught this very rare virus.

This should have been my wake up call. I continued using adderall for 1 year after. I rationalized it in so many ways.  My buddy recovered. He has some mobility issues but walks fairly well.  He was off work for over a year. I see him once and awhile though I'm avoiding contact with him. He's back using "Nitros" (our secret word for addys) and other pills.

I knew him pre-adderall. He really is a totally different person now.  Sorry for the long post, I'd almost completely forgotten about this scary time in my life.  Pretty un-believable but this is pretty much as it happened.

I fucking hate adderall. I hate what its done to my life and others.  

• Like 3

That is a scary story indeed, Z. The fact the your friend is back to using, speaks of the power of this addiction.

There are two types of drug users; daily users and binge users. Both types of drug use has it's own set of problems. I think it is clear that binge users pose the most immediate threat to life.

The psychological and physical risks for users who take high doses are psychosis and cardiovascular problems. There have been reports of sudden death in children who have an underlying heart condition. It is sometimes hard to know who is at risk.

I don't know anyone who has died form taking speed, personally. I do know a story about a close friend who died from another class II drug addiction. It is tragic and I don't want to relive it here. I mention it only to point out that drug abuse and death or ruin are related events.

Would hearing the worst case scenerios from the people who experienced them help you stop using? If so, I bet you could hear some scary stories at NA meetings.

Fear plays a part in quitting, but there needs to be something more inside you that motivates you to quit. For many of us here and like Mike says, we want to recover a part of ourselves that we know is missing. I can tell, Lunax, that you are struggling to find YOUR reasons for quitting. Each of us here had to come to an awareness that told us we need to stop. No one can do that for you. I believe that you are on the path. Keep asking questions.

• Like 3

A person very close to me took his own life in January. He had been at that point at other times in his life, but the other times he made the phone call, got someone to come take his weapon away. He had multiple substance abuse issues for a long time, but only within the last year had been using legally-prescibed Vyvanse for his very legitimate diagnosis of ADHD. My understanding is that, after his death, the tox screen showed only two things: alcohol and Vyvanse. I've never said this to others who were also close to him, but I always wonder...without the Vyvanse...and I KNOW what a crash it can cause...would the low have been low enough for him to go through with it? So not a overdose like lunax asked about. But I have often thought he might still be here if not for the Vyvanse.

• Like 1

A person very close to me took his own life in January. He had been at that point at other times in his life, but the other times he made the phone call, got someone to come take his weapon away. He had multiple substance abuse issues for a long time, but only within the last year had been using legally-prescibed Vyvanse for his very legitimate diagnosis of ADHD. My understanding is that, after his death, the tox screen showed only two things: alcohol and Vyvanse. I've never said this to others who were also close to him, but I always wonder...without the Vyvanse...and I KNOW what a crash it can cause...would the low have been low enough for him to go through with it? So not a overdose like lunax asked about. But I have often thought he might still be here if not for the Vyvanse.

Wow, that's awful. So sorry about your friend. Vyvanse and alcohol was my combo of choice too, and there were too many dark moments to count. I think it's not so much a low or crash (you would feel lower with just alcohol), but the paranoia and being out of touch with reality. Alcohol can be bad in itself but add speed, and well, now you're drunk and you have the motivation and energy to carry out acts you might not otherwise.

• Like 1