QuittingAdderall.com Forums

terrified i have amphetamine induced psychosis

Kev9765

I'm weaning off of Adderall after abusing it for four and a half years.  My head constantly feels foggy.  I feel disoriented and confused.  It's been like this for well over a week or two.  I'm not talking about short term memory loss.  I'm talking about not being able to think straight and being in a daze.  My head feels numb & I'm really scared I have stimulant psychosis.  I've been reading a little on it & many people say this is not reversible.  I really need advice and help from anyone.  Thank you.

you should be terrified. adderall induced psychosis is reversible. but is one of the most damaging consequences of adderall addiction.

You need to cut off your supplier, get some blankets, sleep and watch netflix while you ride out the detox. Not easy steps but essential if you want to get out of the hole you dug yourself. good luck and be strong.

• Like 3

I just want to add having seen your other post that having to check into a psych ward should be a big wake up call. I suffered psychosis daily from adderall. It is an adderall created mental illness. You are producing too much dopamine between your synapses and losing it. My mental illness went away but it took a lot of work and focus on my quitting. You can read plenty of stuff here and that's great but more importantly you must take action and cut off your doctor immediately.

• Like 4

Thanks for responding!  I didn't take any pills today.  It was the first day in years.  Things are still foggy, but I decided that I'm going to do this cold turkey & ride out the detox.  I'm happy you said it's reversible.  That's a major relief. 

When you wrote, "Adderall created mental illness," that statement really hit home.  I'm thinking of all the depression, anxiousness, bizarre obsessions and obsessive thinking over the years & to think it was all Adderall.  It was like an alternate universe was created.

I'm really determined to get off this speed.

Thanks again!

• Like 3

I heard voices daily, couldn't tell that they weren't real, and was a complete mental mess. The symptoms of adderall induced psychosis are similar to schizophrenia. Hearing voices is a big thing, but just delusional thinking and not being able to distinguish between what is real and what is not real. Blurred vision is definitely part of psychosis. I ended up in a psych ward twice for acting out in my delusional behavior. Once, my sister called an ambulence when she got frightened i had gone out of mind. The other time, my prescribing doctor called the ambulence when i starting rambling nonsense to her and asking for more adderall pills.  I also lost my job due to psychosis when they started seeing my mental deterioration. My family didnt know about adderall induced psychosis so they assumed i had schizophrenia - which was pretty terrifying for everyone involved. This led to time in detox, huge weight gain, outpatient therapy, NA meetings, AA meetings too, a relapse and more attempts to control, and finally hitting bottom again. And this time letting go of my responsibilities and focusing 100% on recovery -- with success this time around.

My sanity slowly came back after quitting. Not right away, but week by week. I slowly lost the post adderall weight gain. And i regained my ability to work and think and concentrate like a normal person. Unfortunately the repercussions of all my abuse still lingers today. years after i quit, I still get intense moments of PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) The length of recovery will vary person by person. For me i am three years into my quit and still not recovered. But that is another thing to keep in mind when you quit. But on the bright side, i have no temptation to use adderall ever again. Good luck and do whatever you can to strengthen your resolve. The little voice in your head that wants to use is so strong, especially in the beginning that you have to have enormous committment to ignore it and focus on your recovery and your future.

• Like 2

Its definitely reversible time heals all things. It will be a major adjustment. There are lots of great materials on this site that will describe the quitting process.  Early days are tough but eventually you will return to normal. InRecovery gives some very solid advice "Blankets, Netflix and sleep"  You may want to add Xbox.   

• Like 1

I was on the brink of psychosis before I quit. I never heard voices, but my thinking was so delusional, and I was pretty convinced if I kept using I'd be in amphetamine-induced psychosis. To be honest, this is one of the biggest factors that led to my quit....this and the risk for Parkinson's disease. I was terrified and rightfully so, because it was REAL. For me, this delusional thinking stopped almost immediately after quitting. Recovery is tough, but it's far better than have to be continuously questioning your sanity. Good for you for taking no pills today! I agree with InRecovery...cut off your supplier. A lot of us took this first step in quitting.

InRecovery,

Even though I know your story, I'm still amazed at how far you've come and everything you've accomplished in recovery....graduate school, dedication to running, being here for all of us. Seriously, you ARE a success story that shows just how much life there is after adderall!

• Like 4

Ashley, the psychosis is also the main reason I decided to quit. I successfully went all of yesterday without taking adderall! I woke up today with my head still pounding & is foggy. I still feel very confused & disoriented. I wish I would've done this months ago when I came out of the psych unit & was out of work for 6 wks. I'm still working 40 hrs a wk, I probably shouldn't be. This is going to make it more difficult. Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...