QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Accidental Endings

sneekrz

On Dec 26 my husband and I were out of town visiting with family during the holiday season. We dined out that particular evening, and had split 2 bottles of fairly decent wine to accompany our meal. Later that evening, and well into the next day I became very ill, thinking perhaps I had drank too much wine. My husband also became ill, and we soon realized we had the flu. It took 6 days for me to recover, all the while without my vyvance..... I have yet to take again.

I have been taking some type of medication to relieve my adhd symptoms for about 15 years. I was prescribed ritalin, adderall, adderall xr, etc, but because I have such severe symptoms the dosages were high and I had to take it multiple times a day. Sometimes-most times- I'd forget the additional dosage. Vyvance entered the market and my dr recommended I try it. It works well, except for the horrible headaches at the end of the day....

I have now been amphetamine free for about 45 days, no headaches! I have noticed a significant weight gain. I wondered why, maybe the post holiday extra pounds? I then pondered the withdrawl from my medication-could the years of using these medications cause changes in my metabolism, such as slowing it down? My next dr visit is in a few weeks, and I hope to get some answers then. In the meantime though, I found this forum-maybe I can re-learn to cope without meds, like I had for the first 40 years.

I signed up to post in this forum, only to realize, thru writing, I have not been taking adderall for awhile now, sorry about that. Its the weight gain/metabolism issue I am trying to deal with, so I apologize for the mix-up (adderall in the past-most recently taking vyvance-it's been so long, I had forgotten what medication I had been taking!)

I will refrain from posting in the future if so advised.

• Like 1

sneekrz,

Vyvance, Adderall and Ritalin are all legal forms of speed, so you are in the right forum if you are trying to stay away from perscription speed.

All of us quitters are familiar with the weight gain that follows quitting speed. I believe you are right when you suspect that your metabolism has changed. There are lots of things related to metabolism that change after quitting, like hunger changes, sleep habit changes, energy changes.

Be encouraged though that with time, effort and encouragement, you can overcome the obstacles, including weight gain, without taking a pill.

• Like 2

Adderall definitely lowered my metabolism.   If you're not eating enough, or drinking too much, or eating crap like sweets (which I was all of the above), that's a recipe for a low metabolism.  

When I quit, I started eating again.  Eating really healthy food and eventually my body realized I was no longer starving, so my metabolism went back up again.    And about five months after quitting, I became physically active again.   My metabolism pretty much skyrocketed and the pounds started falling off.    

Hang in there!   Your body will figure this out.   We need long term, sustainable, healthy approaches to weight control, and speed drugs fit none of these criteria!!

• Like 2

Hey and welcome!

Congrats on 45 days clean, I am actually around the same amount of days clean as you - I was on Adderal for 5 years and then Vyvance the last two. I've gained 6 pounds and have been going crazy about it. I've been working out, doing a lot of brikam yoga and eating right for the last month str8 and STILL haven't lost any weight - I don't think but my scale is broken haha but I don't care, as long as I'm healing and getting healthy... weight is just a number, right?!

I even started a health tumblr blog to motivate myself but I think my body is just so confused still and getting used to not taking the meds since I've been on them for the last 7 years. I've also been sleeping for 12hours at night, I used to only sleep 6 or less.

I think it will take a while for our bodies and mind to heal and get back to how it used to be (if it ever will) before taking the pills. Hang in there, we can/will get threw this together!!

• Like 1