QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Four years after Adderall/Concerta addiction

Buddha girl

I've been in recovery from Adderall/Concerta abuse for over 4 years now after a couple years of addiction.

Even though I'm in recovery my brain continues to do everything fast... Talk, eat, walk etc. It's to the point people still think and accuse me of being on something. I don't even realize it, but frequently get told to "slow down" or I get made fun of for my "hyper" behaviors. Pre addiction I don't ever recall it being a issue. Is it possible for my brain to be "stuck" in that addiction mode? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've been to meetings NA etc.... And I'm the only one I've ever seen with this problem.

Thanks

Hey Buddha Girl- I am not sure if this is what you are asking or of this will help. I used adderall for about 15 years. I quit may 2013. But I know when I first starting taking adderall I felt like my brain S-L-O-W-E-D so therefore my thoughts did to. But I have always talked fast pre-adderall, while on adderall and from what i am told I STILL talk fast. I NEVER realized that I was talking fast, it seemed normal to me because thoughts were ALWAYS spinning in my head so fast that I don't know I just that I was talking at a normal rate like everyone else. I leave in the south and people down here in general it seems to talk really slow.

So since I had been told so many times to slow down and really my family or close friends can understand the way I talk. Which is so weird because I think it is not fast. Anyway so now when I am talking to someone I don't know and I need to commute with them say about some project for my house or whatever. I go ahead and tell them ahead of time that I have been told that I talk fast and I don't realize i am doing it so if they can't understand me just remind me to slow down. And usually that all it takes is someone reminding me. So you can't recall if you had thoughts racing in your head before you started taking adderall?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! When I've visited the south and talk the way I do people look at me like I'm from Mars.

I'm honestly not sure if my thoughts raced before Adderall? I don't ever remember anyone making fun of it or commenting on my behavior. But, it's at least a daily thing now. I know some people still think I'm using.

I don't think people have really made fun of me...,maybe more in a joking way TO SLOW DOWN!!!! That NO ONE can understand me. And I still talk fast but again I don't think my family still think I am using because I might still talk fast but I am NOT staying up all night nor am I organizing stuff etc.

Who is making fun of you and are they doing it to be mean?

No I don't believe anyone is trying to be cruel.

I'm recently back into the dating world after 15 years or marriage. It has definitely caused some embarrassment on first dates. Guys will ask me if I've had to much coffee.. Or offer me drink to calm my nerves. And I'm not even nervous!

At work people will say "SLOW DOWN" Lol

The thing is I don't just talk fast, I eat fast, I move fast.. People say I'm acting "hyper" when I feel like I'm being perfectly calm.

Maybe when you are meeting someone for the first time like on a date. Just me upfront and tell them that people tell you that you talk really fast and you don't even realize you are doing it. So if you get to talking so fast just remind you to slow down. I have found that has really helped me if I prepare someone and they are caught off guard and thinking what is this girl on.

But see I think really fast too so I am trying to talk as the thoughts are racing though my mind. Very hard for me to slow them down, but I can if I am reminded. And I might need to be reminded several times during a conversation. and as far as people thinking you are using YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT and that is all that matters right now! I would think- it is so very difficult to stay off medication so you shouldn't have to go around proving you are clean if you are. I would try and not let the sat talking bother you... Things could be a lot worse. Like I said just mention it in the beginning and people have never thought I was "crazy" or "weird" or on something.

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH PEOPLE THAT WILL SUPPORT YOU NOT ACCUSE YOU OF USING! When it is such a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT NOT TO USE...

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Thank you and you are right. A lot of it is my own self consciousness and bruised ego.

I spent years making a fool out of myself while on the drugs... I was SUPER hyper and jittery then.

I have calmed down considerably.... I think? Lol

Being upfront about my fast talk and high energy is an approach I will definitely try.

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

I can relate to what you are saying. ADHD means  having a race car brain with no brakes.  I never "meet" people for coffee sitting still is pure torture. If people want to go for coffee I recommend getting coffee and going for a walk.  Sometimes when i get excited and talk to quick people assume I am back on speed.  

When I mediate I try to focus on finding a middle speed for my work. That perfect steady slot, completing tasks consistently not fast or slow.  I've read a number of books on ADHD coping mechanisms diet, exercise, routine and balance are sort of corner stones of managing ADHD.  The books also recommend getting medicated so just ignore that chapter.  But accepting and harnessing your high energy and making it work for you is key. Finding a job that is fast paced where being a fast paced multitasker is an asset not a liability.  

• Like 2

Thank you...I like that approach. Try to find a way to use it as a gift.

I do meditate as well. When I'm walking, I try to remember to pay attention to my feet touching the earth. When I do any act I try to remember to do it mindfully. It definitely slows me down. The challenge is remembering to do it. Usually I remember when a store clerk behind the counter or or some other random person has given me the confused "stare".