QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Moving from 99% to 100% sure

Kev9765

I was wondering if this is true of anyone else that came to this site to try to quit Adderall:  You really want to quit, you know you have to quit, Adderall has ruined just about everything in your life, you know that no good can come from staying on this pill, you're REALLY determined to quit. 

However, deep down or in the back of your head, regardless of what you tell everyone on this site or what you tell your family and friends or even what you tell yourself, you're still just 99% sure you want to quit.  There's 1% of you that doesn't want to quit or wants to quit for weeks or months, then start up again.  Or there's 1% of you that desperately wants to get off, but then thinks that it probably wouldn't hurt to pop a pill once a month (even though you know, if you pop one pill, it will lead to numerous pills over many months before you can quit again). 

You don't tell anyone about that 1%, you even try to hide that 1% from yourself, you pretend it's not there.  Or maybe the 1% is just doubt in yourself, knowing that at one point in your life, you don’t know when or where, you'll be tempted to pop an Adderall and you know there's a high probably that you will.

For a very personal reason, that 99% just moved to 100% for me!  I'm really happy & relieved, but a little fearful.

This is something I wanted to share.  Thanks!

• Like 1

For me it was 50-50 in the beginning and there are days that the 99% and 1% swap places.  I don't believe that anyone here hides the fact that we are tempted time to time.  We just have to remind ourselves that our brain is lying to us because things were not all sunshine and lollipops while we were taking Adderall.

• Like 3

You just have to make the decision and be commited to the decision 100% even if you feel unsure inside. You will be tempted along the way. You will forget why you quit. This is why you need to cut off your supply/remove access completely.

• Like 3

There was something we liked about adderall or none of us would be here. So, yeah, it doesn't matter so much about how you FEEL about it, it's all about commitment and not forgetting that the "good" parts of adderall will never again outweigh the bad for us, and that makes it worth it.

• Like 3

I've definitely experienced this 1% feeling, at least on the months that I was committed to taking a break (haven't quit yet). I had pills around "just in case". I remember it clearly, it was the first time I thought about taking adderall to do something outside of school. I knew I had a long shift ahead of me as a dishwasher and the thought occurred to me that it would be so much better if I took adderall before hand just that one time. I would be faster, organize everything so that my next shifts would be easier, and "enjoy" cleaning for 14 hours (or at least find it less awful). I put a pill in my pocket and went to work, but couldn't find it when I reached for it. I found it in my car 3 weeks later. I think about that moment all the time, how grateful I am that it fell out of my pocket because it would've become a regular thing.

I just told my friend about this recently and I'm really glad I did. Talking about it, acknowledging that the 1% urge was there, and not being ashamed of it helped me accept my feelings and understand much more about my dependency. It's helping me anticipate what's to come, what I need to be mindful of, and what having pills around "just in case" implies. 

Really glad you brought this up. I always thought that I would be fine being around Adderall because I hate it so much. I'm realizing more and more that those feelings might not be enough, and that quitting needs to be a 100% commitment in order to restore my mental and physical health. 

• Like 4

Congratulations on getting to be 100% sure. I can definitely relate. In my case I was maybe 80% ready to quit for the last year I took it, then my doctor was phasing out patients from her practice and left me with a 3 month supply. At that point I just figured, this is my time. Three months later I woke up with no pills and that was that. I could never have quit with extra pills lying around.

• Like 2